Thursday, February 10, 2011

Romance Week - Classical Romance

In high school we all read classics...

Jane Eyre, Sense & Sensibiliy, Of Mice and Men, The Scarlet Letter, Les Miserables, Hamlet - the list could go on and on and on...

Unfortunately for quite a few people classics were forced on them in English class - not for me!  I loved reading the classics!
We all had our favorites I'm sure as well!

What is yours?


Classic Romance
What is your favorite Classic Romance?
Gone With The Wind
Jane Eyre
Pride & Prejudice
Wuthering Heights
Phanton of the Opera
Emma
The Reluctant Widow
Romeo & Juliet
Other




If yours isn't listed, please let post it in the comments!

--------------------------------

My favorite is Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I read this wwwaayyy back in high school, it was one of those mandatory reads for a book report.  At the time I just wanted to get through it to get my assignment finished!  I recently just re-read, well re-listened to this fabulous novel. 

I love the first line "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."  - it really does set the tone of the whole novel.

- So begins Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen's witty comedy of manners--one of the most popular novels of all time--that features splendidly civilized sparring between the proud Mr. Darcy and the prejudiced Elizabeth Bennet as they play out their spirited courtship in a series of eighteenth-century drawing-room intrigues. Renowned literary critic and historian George Saintsbury in 1894 declared it the "most perfect, the most characteristic, the most eminently quintessential of its author's works," and Eudora Welty in the twentieth century described it as "irresistible and as nearly flawless as any fiction could be." - Goodreads


2 comments:

  1. Hmm, mine was Romeo and Juliet!
    Tried to vote popped up a page that said, error with a bunch of numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix it :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.