Sunday, February 13, 2011

Romance Week - Historical Romance - Review: How to Marry a Duke by Vicky Dreiling

How to Marry a DukeTitle:  How to Marry a Duke
Author:  Vicky Dreiling
Genre:  Historical Romance
Published:  January 2011
Source:  Borrowed




Tristan, the Duke of Shelbourne is a man with a mission: find a wife he can tolerate as long as they both shall live. Love is not necessary--nor desired. But how to choose among a dizzying array of wealthy-yet-witless candidates? Hire London's infamously prim and proper matchmaker. Then pretend she's not the most captivating woman he's ever met...

Helping a devilish Duke create a contest to pick his perfect mate is the kind of challenge Tessa Mansfield relishes. Her methods may be scandalous, but she's determined to find the notorious bachelor more than a wife--she'll bring him true love. Yet when Tessa watches the women vie for the Duke's affections, she longs to win his heart herself. And after a stolen kiss confirms Tristan's desire, Tessa knows she has broken a matchmaker's number one rule: never fall in love with the groom.

-----------------------------------

I love historical romance - and I have for many many years, it's my guilty pleasure.  I picked up my first romance probably around 13 or 14 years old and haven't stopped reading them. 

My bookshelves are full of all sorts of types of historical romance - Regency, Scottish, Medieval.. the list could go on.  The piles keep growing as I find more and more authors - like Vicky - who's books have been added to my favorite list.

I borrowed How to Marry a Duke from my BFF Chrystal from Snowdrop Dreams of Books. From the first chapter I was sucked in - I couldn't put it down!  I stayed up all night, I needed to see how it ended! 

Tristan - the Duke of Shelborne - most eligible bachelor of the London season.  Women are thrown in his path, as well as fans to catch his eye.

Tessa Mansfield - the "Matchmaker" - recruited to help Tristan find a wife.

Tessa comes up with some pretty creative options for Tristan.  One of them setting up 24 eligible woman for him to pick from - and eliminate.  Kind of reminded me of a Bachelor-type scenerio!  It was a great adaption of modern elements.  We usually see this the other way around - historical elements modernized.

I love everything about this book - Vicky did an incredible job!

Tristan and Tessa are a great couple, they have fabulous chemistry and some witty banter.   Of course there is always some conflict thrown at our two main characters - it was funny, fast paced and lively.  The secondary characters were witty, and set the stage for more fun in her second book.  Which showcases two persons who shall remain nameless - can't wait!

---

Make sure to enter the giveaway for TWO copies of the fabulous book! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.