Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Romance Week - Paranormal Romance

What is Paranormal Romance?
"Paranormal romance focuses on romance and includes elements beyond the range of scientific explanation, blending together themes from the genres of traditional fantasy, science fiction, or horror..."

"Beyond the more prevalent themes involving vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, or time travel, paranormal romances can also include books featuring characters with psychic abilities, like telekinesis or telepathy...
."
- Wikipedia

This is a newer genre for me.. I am more of a Historical Romance type of girl.  I've found some great novels since I started delving into the Paranormal section at the bookstore!

Here are is one of my recent finds:

Title:  The Scot, The Witch and the Wardrobe
Author:  Annette Blair

Rating:


He sought his birthright

Long ago, Rory MacKenzie's Scottish ancestor lost the bewitching woman he loved and regretted it forever. Before he died, he sent her his greatest work of art, a beautifully carved unicorn, as a token of his eternal devotion. Now, Rory is determined to reclaim the unicorn and restore his clan to glory.

She fought her birthright
Like all the women in her family, Victoria Cartwright has inherited the key to the mysterious wardrobe in the family attic. Legend says that only the girl who possesses the magic of her ancestor can reveal the treasure within. But Vickie refuses to believe she is any sort of enchantress.

They both got more than they bargained for...
When Vickie unexpectedly opens the wardrobe, the unicorn makes her dreams come true--until the handsome Rory shows up with his own plans for the unicorn, and for Vickie...

My Thoughts:

I love this series!  This is the final book in the Accidental Witch Trilogy, the story of Victoria - best friend to Melody (of The Kitchen Witch) and Kira (of My Favorite Witch) and her handsome Scot - Rory.

The interaction between these two characters is hilarious - witty banter, sexual attraction (and frustration).
Both are going through some serious cases of denial!  Vickie denies her heritage, magical abilities - even though her rhyming is remarkable!  Rory denies his feeling for Vickie and the real reason he's living in her house!

I really liked Vickie, she was funny and independant.  She was in denial of a few things, but all round she was a good character.  She stood up for herself and her family.  She did have her moments where she was quite unsure of herself and the abilities she knew she had.  Rory was a bit disappointing at first, but he really grew on me.  He comes from a proud line, and wants to 'fix' the mistake his ancestor made. 
The fun really starts when Vickie's sisters (triplets who we see in a later book series of their own!) show up and cause all sorts of havoic for the pair!

This is a fun read, light, and funny.  For my first Paranormal Romance I have to say I was impressed!  This will be the first of MANY!

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I think I need to go searching for this book!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.