Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Day in the Life of.... Vicky Dreiling!


Welcome to Knit Purl Stitch Read & Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of..

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the typical day of some of our favorite authors!

This weeks guest is historical romance author - Vicky Dreiling!!




About Vicky:

Vicky Dreiling is a confirmed historical romance junkie and Anglophile. Frequent business trips to the UK allowed her to indulge her passion for all things Regency England. Bath, Stonehenge, and Spencer House are among her favorite places. She is, however, truly sorry for accidentally setting off a security alarm in Windsor Castle. That unfortunate incident led her British colleagues to nickname her “Trouble.”

When she’s not writing, Vicky enjoys reading, films, concerts, and most of all, long lunches with friends. She holds degrees in English literature and marketing. A native Texan, she shares her home with her daughter and a spoiled mini-lop rabbit that lives in a slightly gnawed cardboard cottage.

A Day in the Life of Vicky Dreiling
Regency Historical Romance Writer




There really isn’t a typical day for me as an author.  Well… I do shuffle to the laptop around 7 AM with a Coke Zero in hand every morning. Then I check out my email accounts (yes, plural—sigh) and mosey over to TweetDeck to see if there are any *must read* items in my Twitter *mention* column.  I wish I could say that this foray is a brief preview, but somehow I always manage to get side-tracked by some interesting gossip information in the *all friends* column.

One hour later, I crack my knuckles and decide it’s time to update Facebook.  Telling myself I am a savvy Social Media Queen (snort!), I post links to reviews if I see anything “glowing.” If not, I go to Plan B – Henry Cavill!!!! Hey, we all need our daily Henry fix!

By now it’s 11:45 CDT – time for lunch!  I peer into the fridge and freezer. All I see is Lean Cuisine and a murky carton of leftovers.  I briefly consider venturing to the supermarket, but one look in the mirror deters me.  Besides, putting on makeup would interfere with my *schedule.*  I speed-dial Pizza Hut and tell myself the peppers count as veggies.  After gorging on my carb-laden lunch, I consider taking a nap, but by now, it’s 1:30 PM, and I’ve written nothing but emails and tweets. Panic sets in, and I tackle the work-in-progress with gusto.


All kidding aside, wherever I happen to be in the writing process dictates what I may be working on at any given time.  Currently, I’m working on the third book in my contract. A few weeks ago, I turned in a partial (3 chapters + synopsis) to my editor. I’m now writing the rest of the manuscript, but I’m also promoting book 2, HOW TO SEDUCE A SCOUNDREL. Fortunately, I have a great deal of experience multi-tasking at a Fortune 500 corporation, so working on promotion while writing a manuscript simultaneously is familiar territory to me.

Once I finish the third manuscript, I’ll work on any revisions and line edits my editor suggests. Afterward, the process moves on to electronic copy edits and proofing the final pages for typos and other mistakes.  Meanwhile, I’ll be multi-tasking again as I work up a new proposal for my publisher.  The fun part is when I get to write the dedication and acknowledgments. Truly, writing would be so much harder if not for the support of my agent, editor, family, and friends.

Generally, I write best at night, since I am a night owl by nature. I’ve seen the sun come up more than once when I got so involved in the story I couldn’t stop. Staying up all night is *not* something I recommend! Trust me, you’ll pay for it all the next day.

As I conclude this blog, I confess that writing romance is the best job I’ve ever had, because frankly it doesn’t feel like a job at all.

May the Magic Romance Fairies be with You!
Vicky Dreiling
www.vickydreiling.com

-~-

Thank you so much Vicky for joining us today for A Day in the Life of...

1 comment:

  1. Another great "A Day In The Life"! This sounds like me... night owl!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.