Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Day in the Life of.... Ashlyn MacNamara!



Welcome to Knit Purl Stitch Read & Cook's new weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of..

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

This week we have up and coming author Ashlyn MacNamara!
They say that once you reach your forties, you undergo some sort of mid-life crisis. That must have been what happened to Ashlyn MacNamara when she finally made up her mind to set down some of the stories that had been accumulating dust in the dark recesses of her brain for years. As space becomes available, other plots and characters have developed the pesky habit of moving in to take their place.

Ashlyn lives in the wilds of suburbia outside Montreal with her husband and two teenaged daughters. When not writing, she looks for other excuses to neglect the housework, among them knitting, reading and wasting time on the internet in the guise of doing research.


A Day in the Life of an Inveterate Procrastinator

Note: this blog was originally meant to chronicle July 15, 2011. All screen caps were taken that day. It is now July 22, and I'm just now getting around to writing this post. Still a Friday, so it still counts, right? You see what you're dealing with here now...

7AM: Wake up. It's Friday, and I have the day off. I also have a book to work on, and I've got the entire day ahead of me. Should get a couple of thousand words down, no problem.

Only... I really need to do some laundry, and I'd better check my email first.

*Strips bed, gathers towels, and throws in the first load of laundry. Fires up laptop.*


I love my wallpaper. I downloaded it from the Colonial Williamsburg website. While the book I sold and the book I'm currently writing are Regencies, I feel like my true writing heart lies in Colonial America. Hence the wallpaper and my fervent wish that publishers would acquire more North American-set historical romances.

Or, you know, any at all.


Wow, look at all the messages that came in overnight. Still, better go through them to make sure there isn't anything important in there.

Like LOL cats or something.

I can't ignore my Twitter feed, either. Look, I got that background from Colonial Williamsburg, too. I wonder if my or agent publisher is going to nudge me about re-branding myself at some point?


See? I knew there might be something important in my email: a blunt card.



Can't leave out Facebook, either. Social media is so important to an author's platform.


Not to mention all the blogs I check on a regular basis. Got to keep up with what's going on in the industry.


And what have I discovered on my blogs, but a link to You Tube, which leads me to a video on Regency fashion? This is research, honest!

Almost forgot, my favourite web-comic updates on Friday.

Hmm... what time is it? I hear rumblings from the kids' bedrooms. It's summer, so if they're getting up, it must be, um, nearly noon.

Which means I better make myself some lunch or something. And check on the laundry.

A quick glance in the fridge shows there's not much to eat around here, either, so I'll have to go to the grocery store. Guess I'd better jump in the shower so I'll be presentable.

2PM: back from the store. I ought to get writing, but thirteen-year-old daughter informs me of an impending crisis. She wants me to help her wax her legs... *contemplates the growth on my own lower appendages.* Hmmm...

4 PM: OK, time to get serious before I have to stop and make supper. But first:


10 PM: Do you know how long it takes to play the hard version? Especially when you have to stop for dinner?

Hours, that's what.

But you know, what? I am finally in a mental state to write. It only took all day, but you know why? Let me explain using this handy chart:


10PM: *turns off computer, email, cell phone, get into P.J's and climbs into bed with notebook*

I can't write on the computer. Too many distractions. Night. I'm off to spend an hour or so communing with my hero and heroine before I turn out the lights.

-~-

2 comments:

  1. LOL That is what my time online is like when I should be writing blog posts, reading ebooks or writing book reviews. *sigh* Guess it's the same everywhere. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chrystal. Glad to know I'm not alone. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.