Thursday, August 11, 2011

Review: Blank Slate by Heather Justesen


Title:  Blank Slate
Author:  Heather Justesen
Genre:  Contemporary Romance, Christian Romance
Pages:  256
Published:  May 2011
ISBN:  0615479022
Publisher:  Jelly Bean
Source:  from author for honest review
(for blog tour)


Synopsis:


Adrianna Mueller may be a world-renowned concert pianist, but when she wakes from her coma after a serious car accident, her ability to perform has disappeared as completely as her lost memory. As she recovers from her injuries, she struggles with the expectations of everyone—her family, friends, and fiancĂ©, Brock—who all want everything to go back to the way it was.

Everyone except Gavin, Adrianna’s brother’s business partner, who finds himself drawn to the woman she is now. But he has his own problems. As he tries to get a handle on a former employee’s embezzlement, he fights his growing feelings for Adrianna.

And then a trip to the emergency room shakes everything up, leaving her to stumble as she tries to regain her footing all over again.

This was such an incredible read - so poignant!  I couldn't put this book down - I stayed up almost all night to finish this.  I needed to find out what happened!

We start the story with Adrianna and Laura on a bus together sharing photos and stories - two women so similar in looks that they could easily pass for twins.  Adrianna borrows Laura's phone to play a game and Laura is looking through Adrianna's photos in her wallet.  They are chatting with other passengers to pass the time on a long bus ride.  Suddenly they are struck by an out of control SUV and all their lives are changed.  Several people are dead and Adrianna is hospitalized with major injuries including memory loss.

She wakes up confused, lost and in pain.  People coming in and out faces she just can't place.  A fiance she can't remember but desperately wants to.  I couldn't imagine going through the pain and frustration that Adrianna went through - to not remember anything but the basics.  To top it all off, she has to re-learn the piano - something she struggles with and just can't quite grasp.

Thrust into a life she can't remember, Adrianna struggles with everything.  She can't quite live up to the expectations of her fiance and family.  Gavin - a family friend, her brother and his wife help her try and place the memories and bits and pieces that start to come back to her.  Confusing them all with stories that don't fit into Adrianna's life.

I don't want to give away too much of the story - this was a great story with well written and engaging characters.  The chemistry between Gavin and Adrianna is wonderful - how they work together and build their relationship throughout all the troubles in getting Adrianna's life sorted out.

A great read for anyone who enjoys christian contemporary romance.  

-~-

About the Author:

Hi, I’m Heather Justesen, writer of LDS women’s fiction.

Ask anyone who knew me growing up, I would as soon have my nose in a book as go to the neighbor’s to play. I suppose it was only a matter of time until I started making up stories of my own.

Though I dabbled some in high school, I didn't write again until after I graduated from Southern Utah University with a BA in English literature in 1998. People always ask me if I studied English because I planned to be a writer, but honestly writing was the furthest thing from my mind until after I graduated (or I would have studied actually writing during that time, instead of books written by people who've been dead for hundreds of years!).

After nearly ten years of writing, I finally saw my first book in print, The Ball's in Her Court, quickly followed by Rebound and now Blank Slate. In January of 2012 my publisher will be releasing my fourth book, which is tentatively named Family by Design.

When I'm not writing, I'm running as a volunteer EMT-I with my local ambulance service, playing in the kitchen, in the yard gardening, or with my menagerie of chickens, geese, ducks, guineas and the lone tom turkey.

Where to find Heather:


Where to buy Blank Slate: 

Amazon (ebook)
Amazon (paperback)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so glad you loved my book (you're one of my best friends now, you know!) Thanks for taking time to read it!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.