Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Day in the Life of... Shana Galen!!




Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of..
This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!


Today we have the amazing Shana Galen!!!



About Shana:

I'm the author of numerous adventurous, romantic Regency historicals, including the Rita-nominated Blackthorne's Bride. My books have been sold in Brazil, Russia, and the Netherlands and featured in the Rhapsody and Doubleday Book Clubs. I taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven years. Most of those years were spent working in Houston's inner city.

Now I write full time. I'm happily married to an incredibly supportive man I like to call Ultimate Sportsfan, and I have a beautiful daughter and a very spoiled cat.





A Day in the Life of Shana Galen

6:30 a.m. I wake up, reach for the video baby monitor, and check in on Baby Galen. If she’s still or rolling around I have a few more minutes. If she’s standing, I have to get up. If I have a few more minutes, I grab my smart phone and go through email, Twitter, and Facebook. I also check my calendar to see what’s on the agenda for the day. Pretty much every day it says “Write 4 Pages” along with various other errands I must accomplish.



7:30 a.m. I clean up Baby Galen’s uneaten breakfast, my cereal bowl, and throw some laundry in. My husband leaves for work, and I ask Baby Galen what she wants to do that day. She usually says, “Watch Elmo.” Hmm.



8:45 a.m. I manage to wrestle Baby Galen into some clothes and shoes, fix her hair in pigtails, and persuade her to sit in the stroller. We walk to the park and she swings, slides, and plays with the toys for an hour. I sweat because we live in Houston, and it’s hot even in the mornings.



10:15 a.m. Baby Galen and I play at home (in the air conditioning—yea!) then she watches Elmo or the Wiggles for a few minutes while I check email again, put laundry away, and make phone calls.




11:30 a.m. I make Baby Galen and myself some lunch. She usually eats it because by now she’s hungry. I clean up the dishes, get her down for a nap, and race to my office.




12:00 p.m. I finally respond to emails, post on Twitter and Facebook, check blogs (like Stitch Read & Cook), and respond to readers’ comments if I’m blogging somewhere.




12:20 p.m. Yeah, right. Twenty minutes. But it’s my goal to accomplish all of this in 20 minutes. Just because I haven’t met my goal doesn’t mean I shouldn’t have one. Finally I start writing my four pages.



1:15 p.m. I’m still writing, furiously now because I only have 2 pages and Baby Galen might wake up before I finish.



2:15 p.m. Baby Galen is up, and she eats a snack while I make a to-do list for the evening. Then we go run errands or go swimming at the neighborhood pool (we’re in Houston, it’s still warm enough to swim) or play somewhere fun.



5:00 p.m. Baby Galen and I make towers, help Monkey ride the pony, and throw the ball until Mr. Galen gets home.



6:30 p.m. We sit down to eat dinner. Usually Mr. Galen cooks, and I do the dishes.





7:30 p.m. Bath, story, and bedtime for Baby Galen. I get back to work on blogs, revisions, emails, and more Facebook and Twitter.




10:00 p.m. I usually read for a half an hour or so or watch some TV with Mr. Galen.





And there you have it—the glamorous life of an author! Anything like your life?






I’ll be checking back later to read your comments. 
I’ll randomly pick two people who comment to win copies of Lord and Lady Spy
The giveaway is open until midnight on September 23. 
Sorry! U.S. and Canadian residents only.





---

Thank you Shana for stopping by and visiting me!! Make sure to leave a comment to enter to win one of two copies of her FABULOUS novel - I just recently finished it myself and LOVED IT!

29 comments:

  1. Baby G is such a cutie! Love those little pigtails. :) And I love that Mr. G is the cook in the house - I'll happily do the dishes for a man who cooks! Thanks for the peek into your day, Shana...this is such a great feature, Aislynn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Sarah! It's a busy day, and I figure after I cook breakfast and lunch, hubby can handle dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having a 'normal' life! :) I'd love to win a copy of your new book. Haven't had the $$ to buy it myself yet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pigtails are adorable. :) You're so organized! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am so noraml, jerseygirlabroad. That's why I write. I like to live vicariously through my characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Anna. It takes a lot of effort to get the pig tails in (and an iPhone). I am organized. I have to be to get any work done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Has Baby Galen learned how to climb out of her crib yet, or is she still practicing? I'm looking forward to reading Lord and Lady Spy; I enjoyed a Kindle sample, but I'm still crossing my fingers that I'll win a copy, so I haven't purchased it yet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck in the contest, Molly. Believe it or not, Baby Galen only wants to climb INTO her crib. She loves it in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baby Galen is such a cutie! Good luck with being able to check everything in 20 minutes. I'm still trying to accomplish it all in one hour.

    iqb99@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanna hang out at your house..it seems lots more fun than here!! *grin* Baby Galen is like her mother, adorably cute and sweet. I love that you shared your day with us! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a a lot longer than 20 minutes today, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Baby Galen gets very excited to have visitors, kissable. She dances and jumps around, so it is fun to have people over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that you call your daughter "Baby Galen". Doing the dishes is so much easier than making dinner. I live north of Houston so I can attest to the "warm" weather. Has Baby Galen had any tea parties with the Monkey & Mommy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, Baby Galen just got a table and a kitchen for her birthday, so we have been feeding monkey very well. She also has a little singing tea pot, but since she got the kitchen that's been sort of ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the monkey pics in place of Baby Galen pics (keeping your little girl safe *high five*).

    You life seems hectic yet organized. I'm a little jealous. LOL

    I really look forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your typical day! I work, exercise, make dinner, then check email and Facebook for whatever time's left before going to bed.

    Robin D
    robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, it's been a while but I miss those days. I had two daughters now 24 and 27 with no grandchildren in sight lol. I remember my youngest climbing into her crib so we finally put the sides down to accommodate her. Baby Galen is a cutie and I enjoy hearing about her on FB. I think being normal may be the reason there are such good authors out there like you - you know what we want. And it sounds like your hubby is a keeper. Your book sounds like a wonderful read!

    catslady5(at)aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your day sounds so very glamorous, LOL. Glad you get a little time to get that writing done so we can have more great books to read. I'm really looking forward to reading Lord and Lady Spy, it sounds delicious.

    Barbed1951 at aol dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that Mr. G does the cooking (if I ever get married it will be to someone who does cause my cooking skills are limited). It is amazing that so many writers are able to write when they have small children. Congrats on this book. I have heard many great things about it.
    June M.
    manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Chrystal, I am very organized. It's a blessing and a curse, I promise you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Robin, good for you! I have recently started at 5 a.m. fitness boot camp three times a week to get some exercise in.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks catslady. I know people often think my life is so exciting and glamorous, but it's not! Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Barbara! Now you know my secrets!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks, June. Yes, I am lucky Mr. Galen can cook. FWIW, I did make microwave pizza for dinner last night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's always fun to peek into someone else's life! Kinda voyeuristic!!

    Thanks for a fun post!

    darlenesbooknook at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Maybe I do walk on the wild side, Darlene. Who knew?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok wow that had me laughing out loud, it looks so much like my life! I even just finished reading Goodnight Moon to my two year old girl half an hour ago! I could recite it in my sleep I think! And yes I like to grab a good book and curl up with my hunny for a bit before I zonk out...ah the joy of escaping reality for just a little bit.
    Love my life but everyone needs a little escape, and I would LOVE to escape with Lord and Lady Spy! Thanks for the chance to win one!

    eyesofblueice (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  28. This boook looks awesome and would love to win and read it. Shana is a new author for me and am always looking for new books and authors to read.
    My Julia Quinn pile looks pretty much like Shana's. Julia has to be my favorite historical writer along with Mary Balogh. Hopefully I can add Shana to that list. My kids both loved Goodnight Moon, I got as gifts for both of the kids when they were born.
    Thanks for the giveaway and the chance to win. I am a GFC & blog follower:Chris Bails
    christinebails@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Five years later I can still hear the Wiggles in my head. Love the day in the life feature, and it is fun to see how you organize your day.

    ReplyDelete