Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A Day in the Life of.... Victoria Dahl



Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of..
This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

Today we have the amazingly talented Victoria Dahl!!!! 

 
Victoria Dahl lives with her family in a small town high in the mountains. During the summer she hikes and drinks margaritas (usually not at the same time). During the winter she likes to curl up with a book and a cup of hot cocoa and think about all those poor, freezing skiers working so hard out in the snow.
Her first published novel, the winner of the coveted Golden Heart for best long historical romance, debuted in 2007. As of the end of 2012, she will have seventeen books and novellas in print in historical, contemporary, and paranormal romance. 

Victoria's first contemporary romance, Talk Me Down, was nominated for both the Romance Writers of America® Rita Award and the National Readers' Choice Award. Since then, her books have been nominated for two more Rita Awards, and she hit the USA Today Bestseller list with the contemporary anthology Midnight Kiss!





A Day in the Life of Victoria Dahl

7:00  My alarm goes off. I hit snooze.

7:09 through 7:45  My alarm goes off five more times. I hit snooze four times, then leap from bed in a panic.

7:45  Make breakfast for kids, then run to find their clothes. Drive them to school. Turn up my stereo really loud to celebrate.

8:15  Sweet, sweet coffee. And breakfast! I watch an episode of Battlestar Galactica. What? I'm a late bloomer! And it's better than any of the morning shows. I want to be Starbuck when I grow up.

9:30  Answer a few emails. Actually... I tell myself I'm going to answer emails, but then I read something funny on Twitter instead and get caught up in a conversation, and I only answer one email.

10:00 Write for an hour. Finally! Some professionalism! Okay, this is not what actually happened. What happened is that my critique partner, Jennifer Echols, called me to talk about plotting. We talked about plotting for ten minutes, then made inappropriate jokes and snorted with laughter for another 45 minutes. Whew! Good times.

11:00 Exercise. This is a new thing. I'm actually doing it! I have big plans if we're ever attacked by aliens, by the way. Please see my earlier mention of Starbucks. I can now do one actual boy push-up. One! Which is way more than zero!

12:30 I post on Twitter. Call the house painter. Have lunch. I am boring.

1:30  I spend the next hour reading a manuscript someone sent me for a quote. I have twelve things on my to-do list and I've only crossed off three. "Vacuum" and "Dishes" are quickly falling away to the back. At some point, you will notice that they are not on this timeline.

2:30 Crap, it's almost time to pick up the kids!!! I write for fifteen minutes. That's one page. Not good.

3:00 to 9:00 Family stuff. Kids. Groceries. Laundry. I work on my website a little. Dinner. Homework. Bedtime. It's all very romantic, of course.

9:00 Return emails to readers, friends and my agent.

10:00 Write a guest blog, thinking the whole time that guest blogs always seem a manageable distance away. But they are sneaky critters. I'm tired.

11:30 Now that the house is quiet, I've got a little time alone to work. So I get on Twitter, of course! But only for a few minutes. I have a word count to make and only a little while longer to make it. I write.

1:30  I stumble up to bed and tell myself I'll go to sleep at a reasonable hour tomorrow. Five and a half hours later, the alarm goes off again, and I hit snooze.

I'm tired.

-----------------------------

Twitter - I am on Twitter constantly. Seriously. It is my watercooler and touchstone, especially when I'm deep in deadline. This is the best place to find me. Come listen to my unfiltered, not-safe-for-work thoughts... if you dare.
Tumblr blog - Drop by and see what shiny object has caught my eye. Or why some people think I have a strange sense of humor. Be prepared for tangents.
Facebook Page - I've been known to neglect this in the past, but I'm trying to do better. Check in for updates on appearances and new releases.
Sign up for my newsletter! - I'll keep you up to date on new releases! And nothing more. Seriously. I promise not to bother you.

----------------------------

Thank you Victoria for stopping by and sharing your day with us!

Make sure to check out Victoria's newest release:  Good Girls Don't and the exclusive excerpt on her website!

Also, look for her next books in October & November Bad Boys Do and Real Men Will

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a peek into your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Wendy!

    Btw, I accidentally typed "Starbucks" on that second "Starbuck." Oops. But if aliens or Cylons attack, I will defend my local Starbucks to the death. No worries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every writer should read this! If Victoria Dahl can produce like crazy and still fizzle a day away, there is hope for the rest of us!

    Booyah!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.