Thursday, September 8, 2011

Review: Drink Slay Love by Sarah Beth Durst

Title:  Drink Slay Love
Author:  Sarah Beth Durst
Genre:  YA Paranormal
Pages:  320
Published:  September 2011
Source:  Galley Grab - Simon & Schuster

Synopsis: (via GoodReads)

Pearl is a sixteen-year-old vampire... fond of blood, allergic to sunlight, and mostly evil... until the night a sparkly unicorn stabs her through the heart with his horn. Oops.

Her family thinks she was attacked by a vampire hunter (because, obviously, unicorns don't exist), and they're shocked she survived. They're even more shocked when Pearl discovers she can now withstand the sun. But they quickly find a way to make use of her new talent. The Vampire King of New England has chosen Pearl's family to host his feast. If Pearl enrolls in high school, she can make lots of human friends and lure them to the King's feast -- as the entrees.

The only problem? Pearl's starting to feel the twinges of a conscience. How can she serve up her new friends—especially the cute guy who makes her fangs ache—to be slaughtered? Then again, she's definitely dead if she lets down her family. What's a sunlight-loving vamp to do?

I have to say this one of the most unique books I've read in a long time.  Vampires & Unicorns.. not quite the combination I would have thought would work but it does!!  Initially what drew me to this book was the title and the fabulous cover.  Yes, I admit I'm a bit of a cover whore!  I always run the risk of being disappointed when I just a book on it's cover - in this case I was definitely not!

Pearl, our heroine doesn't start out that way!  She's gorgeous, evil and likes to pray on the locals for her midnight snacks.  On one such night, on her evening out with her studly vampire boyfriend she runs into a unicorn - yup, you heard me a unicorn.  Pointy horn and all!  After being stabbed through the heart, she is dumped back on her doorstep with no memory of how she got there!

No one believes her of course, they all think she was stabbed by a vampire hunter and is trying to save face. She is miffed that no one believes her and is punished with some severe training with her boytoy vampire boyfriend.  Pearl begins to show some unusual side effects from her unicorn encounter which throws her life into complete chaos.

I couldn't put this story down - I loved Pearl!  She was such a great character - she grows, learns and begins to feel for her 'victims' erm I mean friends!  Her relationship with Bethany and Evan is great - they don't quite seem to get all the quarks with Pearl but stay her friend despite everything.  I am not going to give away anything on this story - it's a must read and I refuse to spoil it!

Anyone who loves vampires, unicorns or paranormal will LOVE this book and I highly recommend that you get your hands on a copy to read.  This easily makes it into my top ten for the year and will have a permanent spot in my own personal library!



About Sarah Beth:


Sarah Beth Durst is the author of Drink, Slay, Love (coming Sept 2011), Enchanted Ivy, and Ice from Simon & Schuster, as well as Into the Wild and its sequel Out of the Wild from Penguin Young Readers. She has been writing fantasy stories since she was ten years old and holds an English degree from Princeton University, where she spent four years studying English, writing about dragons, and wondering what the campus gargoyles would say if they could talk. Sarah lives in Stony Brook, New York, with her husband and children. For more information, visit her at www.sarahbethdurst.com

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a blast. And you're right, I never would have imagined there is unicorns in the same place/story as vamps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! i'm so glad you liked this one! i need to read it! here's my latest review, just posted it! for the predicteds! stop by! :)

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-predicteds.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved it too. I must buy a copy soon - because it's one of those books that you just must have on hand when you need something to read that will make you laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.