Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Day in the Life of... Katy Madison!!


Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of..

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

--------------------------------------------

 
Katy Madison has always loved stories.  As a child she was always lugging a book around.  At the age of eight, after having gone through over a hundred Nancy Drew mysteries, all the Laura Ingalls Wilder books—at least twice—and many others including her full weekly allotment of library books, Katy went to her mother and begged for a new book to read.  Her frustrated mother handed her a romance novel.  Katy fell in love with the romance genre.  She quickly found where her mother hid the rest and began sneaking them out to read.  She cut her eye teeth on books by Georgette Heyer and Mary Stewart, not to mention dozens of Barbara Cartland’s. 

With a nod to great Gothic novels like Jane Eyre and Rebecca, Katy offers up her gothic romance Tainted by Temptation.

Katy makes her home with her family and two cats on a tree-lined street in Kansas City.  She thinks there is nothing better than a curling up in front of the fireplace and escaping with a good book while a storm rages outside. Except maybe the beach without the storm, plenty of sun, and, of course, a good book.

First I want to thank Aislynn for having me blog about a Day In My Life. It’s great to be here and I’ll check back through the day to answer any questions about me or about ALL ABOUT SEDUCTION, my cinderfella novel releasing next Tuesday.

A typical day for me starts when I roll out of bed around eight or nine. If I’m pushing ten, I start to have dreams of the phone ringing. I guess my subconscious won’t let me get too lazy, but I almost never have to wake up to an alarm. The last time was when my visiting little brother scheduled a 6:00 am flight, which meant we had to leave the house by 4:30 am. My attitude in the morning can be summed up:



So the next order of business is to put something on my feet. Footwear is important. I’m a bit of a shoe whore, but...


Actually the Abominable Snowman slippers were given to me as by one of my kids when I said how much AS used to scare me as a little kid. I’m not sure why now, but he terrified me. But they are actually really cushy. After donning slippers, I usually scrape my hair back into a ponytail or clip—saves brushing, grab a robe and head downstairs. The best thing about writing is I can work in my jammies.

First order of business: turn on the computer. While the machine is cranking through the start-up process I put an egg on the stove to poach. Protein in the morning helps my mind start (See photo #1) and an egg is only 70 calories. I say hello to the cats (Girl Kitty tried to help with the footwear video) and microwave water to fix my gallon of tea for the day. (I drink A LOT of tea, no coffee) While my egg is cooking I check e-mail. Usually 20-60 messages. I skim for any important ones, respond, then move onto Spider Solitaire. I play until I win—I believe it engages my analytical mind and allows my creative mind the freedom to engage. Either that or I just like to play so I make up lies about how it helps clear the brain circuits. 



About this time the egg needs flipped over. I do not like runny yolks, so my morning egg is usually just shy of rubber. I could probably bounce it on the floor. About this time I open a browser and make sure the world hasn’t blown up while I was sleeping. I grab my egg, sit back down in my office and check out any news that looks interesting. I also check my other e-mail, sign on to a couple of sites I regularly visit, go to Twitter, read my horoscope or as I like to call it my horror-scope, check for new reviews, read some more email, then play a game of Sudoku.

While I check my Twitter feed for blogs that look interesting and open the sites, I also open my WIP (work in progress) and start thinking about getting serious. This is usually a good time for a friend or one of my kids to call so I can chat on the phone before really digging in. After I’ve managed to successfully waste most of my morning it’s time for lunch. Usually a sandwich. Then I panic, because half the day is gone and I’ve done nothing productive. So I focus pretty intently on my manuscript for the next several hours. I usually hit a sweet spot between two and six where the words just start flowing. Somewhere in the afternoon or evening I squeeze in a shower, and if I’m not going anywhere I just change into clean jammies. Standing under running water is great for thinking through plot problems.

Long about six or seven I’m hungry. I fix or fetch dinner, make sure any shows I’m interested in seeing are being DVR’d. (I hardly ever watch anything in real time anymore.) I catch up on the dishes, laundry, and the house. So then it’s back to the computer for several hours. When my brain gets tired I’ll take a break and watch TV. Then I’ll go back at it until I get my page count for the day. Somewhere between midnight and two am I shut down the computer, I’m off to bed and my lovely TBR pile. 


Actually, it does typically look like this, with half the bed covered with books, although I threw in mine just because I couldn’t take a picture of books without mine in it. There are probably just as many books waiting to be read on my e-reader. There is one book in my pile, which won’t be released until next year. Can you figure out which one?

And that is a typical day in my world, seven days a week. Yes, I do work on the weekends. Pretty boring on the whole, but I like to keep my drama on the page instead of in my life. 

----------------------------------------------------------

Thank you so much Katy for stopping by and sharing your day with us!!

One lucky random commenter who can answer Katy's question correctly will win a Smashwords code for one of Katy's books!!!

A BRIGHT HOT LIGHT (contemporary romantic suspense)
THE WEDDING DUEL (a regency historical)
or
SECRET VALENTINE& STEALING STERLING (two novellas in one volume)

Giveaway is open until Monday October 24th (Midnight EST)

Make sure you leave your email address!!! (example:  aislynnt(at)gmail(dot)com)

This is open to International residents!


---------------------------------------------------------------

Also, make sure to check out Katy's newest book ALL ABOUT SEDUCTION,
which will be coming out in October 25th, 2011!!

9 comments:

  1. Since your pics are not showing on my computer I am going to take a stab at it and say The Wedding Runaway. Just a guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Virginia, that's not the correct answer. If you can't see the pictures here you can see them on my website http://katymadison.com/extras
    FWIW, I can't see the pictures either. =(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I can see the pictures and I know the answer, but I won't spoil things since I have an inside track to Katy's publishing schedule. You should see my slippers. Well, you shouldn't, really, and you can't now the dog ate them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's it Cindy! Did you guess or did you poke around? Sweet Enemy by Heather Snow will be released next February. (The book isn't real, I just have a printout of the cover that I wrapped around another book.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty much a guess. The rest looked or sounded like I had heard the titles before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, Katy! That's so nice of you! I'm glad you are looking forward to Sweet Enemy and thank you so much for mentioning it.

    Of course, I can't wait to read All About Seduction--it's pre-ordered to hit my Kindle tomorrow! Ooooh, maybe even tonight at midnight? I'll have to stay up and check!

    ReplyDelete