Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Day in the Life of.... Mia Marlowe!!



Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!


A Day in the Life of..

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

-----------------------------------------------------
Mia Marlowe has a checkered past. She's been--hold on!--a professional opera singer, a choir director, teacher, Realtor, and a banker. Now she makes things up for a living and wouldn't change jobs for anything.
One of her books was featured in People Magazine's Best of 2010 edition and another is on display at the Museum of London Docklands. Her work has been translated into Dutch, German, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Russian, and Spanish. She's fascinated by the delicate dance between souls that defines romance.

She loves meeting readers and invites you to join her on Twitter, Facebook and MiaMarlowe.com

MIA'S DAY

5:00 AM--Prince Harry and Mack the WonderDog begin to be restless.

5:05 AM--Harry and Mack stop hopping on and off the bed and begin giving doggie kisses to me and the DH.

5:10 AM--If we haven't rolled out by now and harnessed them up for their morning walk, well, we can't say they didn't warn us. We live in a highrise, so every time they need to go, we have to take them. Our theme song is "Sha-la-la-la-la-la, live for the dog!"

We're not really urban people, but we've adapted to condo living. On the plus side, when it snows (and believe me, it snows here in New England!) we don't have to shovel and we live close enough to the T not to need to drive if we don't want to.

6:00 AM--The DH and I eat our Jenny Craig breakfasts. I'm down 16.5 pounds and have clawed for every ounce. My DH has lost 18 and cheats like a fiend!

6:30 AM--I post on my blog, FB and Twitter. Anything that gets words dripping from my fingers is a good warm-up.

8:00 AM--The writing day begins in earnest. When I'm in my "bookhead" and under deadline, my goal is always 10 pages a day. Sometimes, I don't quite make it. Some days the planets are all in alignment and I exceed my goal. If I hit 16 pages it's time to alert the media!

Noon-1 PM--Time to break for lunch and HouseHunters on HGTV. It's my guilty pleasure. The dogs need to do a squirrel patrol around the park outside out building and I need to stretch my legs.

1:00-3:00 PM--Back to the salt mines! Now I do a quick pass through what I've written that morning and tweak things before pushing the story forward. I'm a linear pantser, which means I follow where my characters lead. This means as I discover new things about them, I sometimes need to go back and make sure my characters' past works with their present.

3:00-4:00 PM--Yet another dogly excursion and then I check my blog, Facebook and Twitter to see who left me a comment.

4:30 PM--If the weather is good, I pick my DH up at his work. He could make his way home on the T, but if he's in my car, I figure he's home and our evening together can begin. During the summer, we have supper on the terrace and watch boat traffic on the Mystic River.  I try very hard to have all my writing done before he comes home so we can have some together time, but if I'm in a crunch, he's good with letting me do a little catch-up work.

Evenings are spent reading, watching TV, or enjoying something special here in Boston. We love concerts at the Hatch Shell or Shakespeare in the Park. Last week we took in a visiting Broadway production of SOUTH PACIFIC. It was a great date night. My DH still knows how to show a girl a good time.

Now I know my life doesn't sound very exciting, but there's so much action and adventure going on in my head, it certainly feels exciting to me. Besides, I prefer the conflict and drama in my fiction, not my reality.



I'd love to give away a signed copy of IMPROPER GENTLEMEN to a random commenter, so be sure to leave me a question or a comment.

Here's my question for YOU. Do you have any pets? If not now, has there been a furry friend who made  your days happier in the past?

Giveaway Details:


Giveaway will run until Tuesday October 11th (Midnight EST)
Open to residents of Canada and US. Everyone!! International :)



Don't forget to leave your email address! (example:  aislynnt(at)gmail(dot)com)


Good Luck!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for the little glimpse into your life! I live in a house that is ruled by the kids & the dogs~wouldn't have it any other way! My husband and I say that we have 5 kids~our son and daughter & then the pooches, Lucy (our Great Dane) & Zeus and Nyxie AKA "Double Trouble"(our jack russell/yorkie mixes). We're a military family & we recently moved back home (yippee!), but since our back yard is "under construction" all 3 dogs have to be leashed and walked. It's great entertainment for the neighbors!

    Looking forward to reading Improper Gentleman! I was introduced to your books last year via another author & really enjoy your stories!

    Thanks
    Michelle H.
    harlan_michelle(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mia! You wake up at 5 AM? Ugh! Painful!

    Dogs are the best for a variety of reasons. They do help to structure your day....forcing you to get outside and take a walk is one of the positives! My long-haired black-and-tan mini doxie is one of the greatest parts of my life. All I have to do is snuggle with her and it's like popping a prozac. Instant happiness. Unfortunately, she doesn't like to take walks! I have to carry her around the neighborhood (which I do). I just bought A Duke For All Seasons for my Kindle....one of my Goodreads groups is doing a reading challenge this month and I'm reading your book! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I don't have a pet now and if it could i'll try to courage my self to keep a dog. because i know that dog is a cute and lovely pet =D

    and furry friend from my pass should be my brother's bird. he like bird and caring a bird for some time

    thks,
    eli_y@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mia!
    Thanks for the glimpse into your life! Well done about your weight loss! I've lost some pounds myself over the last year and I feel so much better now.
    I used to have a rabbit as a child which I loved dearly but due to work we don't have any pets now but I know that I'll get a cat one day.
    Can't wait to read your story from Improper Gentlemen!

    claudigc at msn dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wild day. I don't have any pets right now only fish and they do have to be fed. I use to have a bird but they do take up a lot of time, with cleaning the cages and such although they are good pets.

    lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad is a dog lover & we grew up with dogs in the house (well in the garden anyway).

    Aren't dogs just awesome? It's so heartbreaking that their lives are so much shorter than ours.

    thumbelinda03@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mia, thanks for sharing your day with us. I have lost more than 30 pounds & I am very proud of myself.
    We'd like to have a cat or dog, but we are often out of town & we just can't take them with us.

    Good luck to everyone!
    natalija (dot) shkomare (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  8. My baby,

    a staffordshire bull terrier, died last August.

    He'd been with us for 16 years and I miss him terribly. He was such a sweetie.

    No plans for any more pets in the near future, but maybe some day. I do love dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michelle-Our dogs are considerably smaller than your Dane, but then so is our living space I suspect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Penelope--Harry is our first doxie and I confess I'm now in love with the breed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Eli--Don't think I could ever keep a bird, but my aunt inherited a parrot from a friend. This was the parrot who used to ride on Clarence the Cross-eyed Lion on the very ancient TV show called Daktari. The bird was very verbal and I confess some of my cousins like to expand his vocabulary in mischievous ways. After one family reunion, it could say, "Graham's a dork." with no prompting at all. Can't repeat what Graham taught it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you on your weight loss, Claudia. It's a very personal victory, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Virginia-I haven't had fish since my kids were very small. Errol Finn was their favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda--Dogs are heartaches with feet. I lost my little 17 year old Susie almost 2 years ago and I still tear up when I think about her. But I'd never wish not to have had her in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Natalija--Congrats on your weight loss!

    Pets are a problem when you travel. Harry loves to go, but Mack is a nervous traveler. He whines for a good 50 miles before he figures out that the mobile den is a safe place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beebs--I waited a year and a half after losing Susie before we added another dog to our family. Even now, I struggle not to compare Harry to her. It isn't fair to him. He's his own little self and has his own strengths and weakness. Right now those weaknesses seem to settle nibbling my things. He destroyed the ear piece on my glasses, but on the up side, they were 4 years old and I was due for a check up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have a blue tick blue heeler mix dog. He's 75 lbs of pure "boy". Yes he doesn't know he's a dog. He loves to snuggle before sleeping.
    Your days sound so very busy it's a wonder you have time to write much less to anything else. Thank you for sharing your time and giving us a chance to know more about you.

    macladie25 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice to know you too, Melanie. Your heeler sounds like a doll.

    ReplyDelete