Friday, December 2, 2011

Interview with Laura Kaye (& Free Cookbook!!)



About Laura Kaye:

A multi-published author of paranormal, contemporary and erotic romance, Laura Kaye’s hot, heartfelt stories are all about the universal desire for a place to belong.

Laura is the author of the bestselling contemporary romance and award-nominated HEARTS IN DARKNESS and the bestselling and award-winning paranormal romance FOREVER FREED (NJRW Golden Leaf Award for Best Paranormal of 2011), as well as an erotic romance novella, JUST GOTTA SAY.

Her fourth book, contemporary fantasy romance NORTH OF NEED, is the first in the 4-book Hearts of the Anemoi series. Laura lives in Maryland with her husband, two daughters, and cute-but-bad dog, and appreciates her view of the Chesapeake Bay every day.
 
1) I have a weekly feature here at S. R. C. called "A Day in the Life of…" where we get a look inside the lives of authors.  Could you give us a quick rundown of what at day in your life is like?

I would love to! And thanks so much for hosting me here at Stitch – Read- Cook! Only problem is…I don’t have a typical day! I’m a college professor, so my days differ depend on whether it’s a teaching day or a day I don’t have classes. And my days differ between the work week and my weekends, when my five and seven year old demand as much of my attention as possible! But, in general, a day in my life begins with getting my girls up, dressed and ready for the day, and rushing to work to teach or Panera to write for the day. Then, I turn into a pumpkin, as I always say, at about 5 o’clock everyday, when I need to pick the kids up from after care and begin the dinner/homework/nighttime routine. My husband often works pretty late, so my evenings are usually dedicated to more writing time when I can.

2) Describe your book in 140 characters (a tweet) or less.

#NorthofNeed features sweet holiday magic, a sexy paranormal romance & a unique world based on Greek mythology! What more could you want?

3) What was your inspiration for "North of Need"?

I totally love snowmen. I have a collection of snowman figurines and have always thought they were the cutest, most magical creature of the holiday season—so who could better bring cheer and new love to a grieving widow’s life? Initially, my hero was simply a snowman come to life, but when I tried to write Owen that way, he wouldn’t cooperate. He finally revealed that was because he was a god, not just a snowman, and that set me off on an afternoon’s research into the winter traditions of various cultures. When I found the Greek mythology of the Anemoi, I knew I had my world for this story and this series.

4) Can you give us a sneak peek into the next book in the series?

West of Want features the story of Zephyros Martius, Supreme God of the West Wind and Spring. Here’s the tag line for the second book: Betrayal is all he’s ever known, but in her, he’ll find a love strong enough to be trusted… It’s an awesome story, and I’m so in love with Zeph. I can’t wait for you to read him, too!

5) What author(s) influenced your writing?

I grew up reading Stephen King and Anne Rice, and they were/are without question a huge influence on my writing of paranormal fiction. I also feel like much of what I know about writing male point of view comes from reading Sherrilyn Kenyon and J.R. Ward.

6) What book is at the top of your wishlist or TBR pile?

I just bought J.R. Ward’s Envy and Robyn Carr’s Bring Me Home for Christmas, and plan to read both of them within the next week!

7) When you aren't writing, do you have a hobby or a craft that you enjoy?

I haven’t done it in a long time, but I used to be very into stained glass window making. I’ve made several bigger windows and a bunch of smaller pieces. Nowadays, when I’m not writing, I’m probably either reading, getting caught up on Vampire Diaries (or other paranormal TV series!), or doing something kid-related…

8) Throughout the writing/publishing process what was the most important thing you learned?

I probably most learned that it’s all about the stories. Writing good stories with compelling, sympathetic, likeable characters that people care about is what makes people pick up a book and read it. And, when you finish the first story, the thing to do is write the second, then the third. I’ve been writing since 2008 and have so far finished nine novels and novellas, with three more committed so far to be written for 2012 publication dates. My advice for newer writers would be to focus on honing your craft, get your manuscripts in front of other authors for feedback, and keep writing the next book even as the rejections on the first roll in.

Quick Ones:

Black or White?   Black
Coffee or Tea?   Tea
Heels or Flats?   Heels
Cats or Dogs?   Dogs
Day or Night?   Night
Desktop or Laptop?   Laptop
E-book or Real book?   E-book
TV or Movies?   Movies


Thank you so much for hosting me and for this fun interview! As a thank you for your readers, I’m offering this free holiday cookbook released by one of my publishers and featuring two recipes from me!

Now, it doesn’t include North of Need heroine Megan’s snowcone recipe in it, but that one’s easy: big cup, spoon, then alternating layers of snow, Hershey’s chocolate syrup, and strawberry Gatorade. Try it! Eees goooood! Feel free to ask me a question!



About North of Need ~ Recommended by Paperback Dolls as THE romance novel for holiday gift-giving!:

Her tears called a powerful snow god to life, but only her love can grant the humanity he craves...

Desperate to escape agonizing memories of Christmas past, twenty-nine-year-old widow Megan Snow builds a snow family outside the mountain cabin she once shared with her husband, realizing too late that she's recreated the very thing she'll never have.

Called to life by Megan's tears, snow god Owen Winters appears unconscious on her doorstep in the midst of a raging blizzard. As she nurses him to health, Owen finds unexpected solace in her company and unimagined pleasure in the warmth of her body, and vows to win her heart for a chance at humanity.

Megan is drawn to Owen's mismatched eyes, otherworldly masculinity, and enthusiasm for the littlest things. But this Christmas miracle comes with an expiration--before the snow melts and the temperature rises, Megan must let go of her widow's grief and learn to trust love again, or she'll lose Owen forever.


13 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for hosting me here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this and just read Hearts in Darkness :-) You certainly have a GREAT imagination!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the cover, Laura. And this blog is so cool!
    Off to buy the book, I'm all about holiday reads this time of year.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok I am so ordering NORTH OF NEED NOW! Greek mythology, Anne Rice & Stephen King lover...are we by chance related Laura? (just kidding...i know we are not)!

    Do you do a lot of research for your books Laura...is there really a Snow God in the legends? What a CLEVER idea!!!

    Will DEF be trying the snowcone idea with my kids. THey will LOVE IT!

    thanks!
    Mindy
    boo(2)bosh(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Stitch Read Cook for an incredible post!

    *I am trying to follow your blog but the follow option is hidden here at work. I will follow as soon as I can get to my phone*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Laura for coming by and visiting today :) Your interview was so much fun to put together!! And of course I LOVED North of Need.

    Thank you everyone for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What gave you the confidence to write? I have tons of crazy ideas bouncing in my head, but no confidence that anyone wants to read them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Purchased Hearts in Darkness recently...I have it added to the TBR pile....But It sounds GOOOOOD!!

    Great Interview!!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great interveiw! Seems I can never get enough of Owen, reread his excerpt every time!! Can not wait for West of Want! My question is... In all the books that are out there how do you come up with such unique and different stories? Hearts was new and refreshing! Owen was magical and different! Thanks again!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the interview. Making stained glass is a novel hobby. How did you come by it?
    I'm very interested in seeing what your two recipes are :).

    vsloboda(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi guys--stopping in quick to say thanks for all the great comments! I'm loving your questions and will return to answer them (I'm at a family wedding today and am just sneaking in a few minutes to check in on things--thank goodness for hotel wifi!)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed the interview and learning a little bit about Laura's busy life. It's a amazing that there is time left for such beautiful novels.

    Thanks for the posting.

    sophiarose1816@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Deborah--aw, thanks! Glad you enjoyed Hearts!

    @Heather--I'm so pleased you stopped by, Heather--guys, Heather and Decadent is the publisher of my erotic romance story, Just Gotta Say!

    @Mindy--LOL Maybe we are! It turns out a lot of cultures have traditions about seasonal deities responsible for bringing good fortune or misfortune throughout the year. And the Anemoi are a part of Greek mythology. Definitely cool!

    @Aislynn--thanks again for hosting me and for the great review! So glad you enjoyed!

    @Michelle--I've always been a writer, I think that's part of what gave me confidence. But the real thing was just doing it, proving to myself I could, which also helped polish my prose and take the writing to the next level!

    @Lisa--woot! Thanks for buying Hearts! Still have a very fond place in my heart for that one! Enjoy!

    @Erin--good question! Um, I don't know. Characters start talking to me and tell me who they are and what their story is. I think I have a very creative muse working on my side, and together we manage to come up with some good stuff! ;)

    @Victoria--I took a stained glass window making class in college as an elective my senior year. I loved it so much, I continued to do it after I graduated--even got my mom involved in it!

    @Sophia Rose--LOL that's the truth! Thanks for commenting!

    Thanks for all the great comments everyone! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.