Friday, December 9, 2011

Review: Vampire Vacation by C. J. Ellisson

Title:  Vampire Vacation
Author:  C. J. Ellisson
Genre:  Paranormal
Published:  October 2012
Publisher:  RH Publishing
Source:  Smashwords via Bewitching Book Tours

Synopsis:

Meet Vivian. She's a 580-year-old vampire who exudes sex, has a talent for drama, and is passionate about two things: her human husband, Rafe, and their resort for the undead. Her ability to project physical illusions has created the perfect vacation spot a dark, isolated Alaskan hideaway where visitors can have their wildest fantasies come true.

Vivian knows the best performance requires perfect timing, but the powerful vamp is put to the test when she discovers a corpse in a locked guestroom minutes before the next arrivals. Always cool-headed, Rafe hides the body, convinced he and Vivian can find the culprit without disturbing their guests.

Juggling the increasingly outrageous demands of their customers while tracking a killer isn't easy. Will their poking and prodding give them the answers they need, or will it uncover secrets Vivian would kill to protect?

Warning: This story contains some explicit sex scenes and is not intended for readers under 18.

Wow, this book is hot.  The warning is definitely right that it has some explicit sex scenes and isn't for readers under a certain age!  While this won't appeal to a certain type reader but it will to others.

Vivian (also known as Alexandra) is 580 years old and is the owner of the V V Inn.  A resort that caters to a 'certain' type of clientele.  She uses her manipulative powers to help her guests settle in and 'get comfortable'.  With her mate/husband by her side their beautiful Alaskan location is perfect for their Vampire guests.

I was really impressed with how detailed and how developed the characters were.  I wouldn't have known this was a debut for C.J!  I was looking through some other reviews and was astonished.  I did find in a few cases where sex scenes were a bit much for me - but they did add so much to the story and it wouldn't have been the same with out them.

The story opens with the discovery of a dead body in one of the Inn's rooms.  This leads Viv and her husband on a wild chase to figure out what happened and why.  I've always been a fan of the 'whodunit' mysteries so I really enjoyed how it worked into the story.  Although this isn't your typical murder mystery by any means.  I don't want to spoil how things progress or how things turn out but I have to say it kept me glued to the pages and unable to put it down until I knew how things worked out.

For most readers this will be a fun, sexy read.  Especially if they are fans of Vampires, Weres and a murder thrown for good measure.  For some it might be too much.   I thoroughly enjoyed it and am looking forward to getting into The Hunt next. 

3 comments:

  1. Excellent review my dear! :) This book is definitely out of my reading comfort zone but you got me very intrigued! plus the cover is really cute! :D

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, hun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Evie!!

    It was a great read and it would definitely be out of some readers comfort zones if they are uncomfortable with explicit sex scenes. The story was fabulous and I'm looking forward to the 3rd book when it's released!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your time in reading the book as well as with your review, Aislynn! I'm always worried the sex will be too much for people, so thank you for stating your honest thoughts on it. I'm actually working with an artist who will being doing some comic drawings for several of the action scenes (non-sexual). I'm doing a re-edit of the series to de-sexify the books for the high-young adult audience. Hopefully it will appeal to adults who like the story but aren't interested in the graphic sex. That might be a version you like, Evie ;-)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.