Monday, January 23, 2012

Interview with Genevieve Graham - Author of Under the Same Sky

About the Author:


I love to write. I really, really do. When my wonderful agent, Jacques de Spoelberch, told me he believed in my writing, then sold my books to Berkley, in particular to the brilliant Wendy McCurdy, Executive Editor, it was a dream come true.

I am embarking on a journey I never expected to take, having my book published. I never planned to be an author in the first place, but Fate has a way of stepping in. I'm so glad She did.

"Under the Same Sky" came from a desire - no, a need to read real historical adventure when I'd exhausted the books my favourite authors had created (and I read them all many times!). The characters come to life in my head, take me places I never imagined, teach me every day. They're not all my best friends, but they are all amazing to me simply because they exist.

It's kind of funny, writing books. The best stories come from somewhere you've never been, and yet you are the expert. You write words that come to you when you're not thinking and you make them into something that takes other people away. I love the magic in that.


About the Book:

The year is 1746. A young woman from South Carolina and a Scottish Highlander share an intimacy and devotion beyond their understanding. They have had visions of each other their entire lives. And yet they have never met.

Now, with their lives torn asunder, Maggie Johnson and Andrew MacDonnell's quest to find each other is guided only by their dreams—and by the belief in the true love they share.

On the Carolina frontier Maggie Johnson’s family struggles to survive. Maggie’s gift of “the sight” and her visions show her a presence she calls Wolf. She watches him grow from a boy her age to a man even as she goes from child to woman.

Andrew MacDonald has always wondered about the girl he sees in his dreams. He is able to talk to her through their thoughts and vows that even if he must cross an ocean he will find her. They are thrust into different situations: Andrew fights for the doomed Jacobite cause and Maggie is captured by slavers, then rescued and brought into a kind, loving Native American tribe. They each believe in destiny and the power of the love they have shared forever.

Where to Purchase:  Amazon - Chapters - Barnes & Noble - Book Depository

-------------------------------------------

Thank you so much Genevieve for stopping by and visiting today!

Aislynn:  I have a weekly feature here at Stitch Read Cook called "A Day in the Life of..." where we get a look inside the lives of authors.  Could you give us a quick rundown of what a day in your life is like?

Genevieve:  I’m up at 5:45 so I can get my daughters on the schoolbus by 7. Then I grab a coffee, hit my emailbox and facebook, cruise around there for a while, then get to work. I have to be relaxed before I can write, and I am the kind of writer who needs quiet. It’s been difficult for me to find time for my own writing lately because of my editing business - I’ve been editing novels for authors around the world! When I do get to write, I can go for hours, forgetting meals, bedtime, family members ... I try to write a minimum of 1,000 words a day.

Aislynn:  Describe your book in 140 characters (a tweet) or less.

Genevieve:  Thru dreams they’ve known each other their entire lives,but have never met. They rescue each other thru dreams until dreams aren’t enough.

I hope that’s under 140. I counted a few times but my daughter kept coming in to chat so I lost count and eventually gave up!

Aislynn:  What inspired you to write "Under The Same Sky"?

Genevieve:  I’d been reading Diana Gabaldon’s “Outlander” series for the fourth time (and listening to the audio version about three times as well!) and when I finished, I craved the adventure, the colours she had in her stories. I missed the characters. I felt kind of lonely without them. So I told my husband I wanted to try and write a book. He said, “Okay. See you in a few hours.” Three hours later I made him read what I’d done and he said, “You know what? That’s not bad.”

Aislynn:  Of all the things in the writing/publishing process, what did you find the most difficult?

Genevieve:  Querying agents. Yes, you have to have a great story to start with. But after that, you have to query the right agent on the right day at the right moment when they’re looking for exactly your kind of story ... it’s extremely frustrating. But I kept reading about other authors who had experienced a ton of rejections (i.e. Stephen King), and I was determined.

Aislynn:  What author(s) influenced your writing?

Genevieve:  Diana Gabaldon, Sara Donati, the good “adventure” writers.

Aislynn:  What book is at the top of your wishlist or TBR pile?


Genevieve:  I’m reading “Colorado Dawn” by Kaki Warner right now. I’d like to read “A Discovery of Witches” because I keep hearing great things about it. I’m sure there are a ton I should look at but I can’t recall now. Can you suggest some?

Aislynn:  What are you writing at the moment?  Can you give us a sneak peek into your current WIP?

Genevieve:  Book #2, “Sound of the Heart” will be in stores May 1. I’ve already written book #3, “Out of the Shadows”, but Penguin hasn’t seen it yet. I just started work on the 4th book. I’ve also been working on a WW1 story based here, in Nova Scotia.

Aislynn:  Would you ever write something outside your comfort zone?  Like fantasy or science fiction?

Genevieve:  I guess I could. I’ve written chick lit and am attempting a YA. I know I can’t do erotica. Having tried, I now know that I am far too prudish to write it - though I have no problem reading it! I think I could follow a character wherever they lead me, but I really like the research and discovery I get from doing Historical Fiction.

Quick Ones:

Black or White?
Black

Cat or Dog?

Dog

Day or Night?

depends. Night, I think.

Chocolate or Vanilla?

Vanilla

Real Book or E-book?

Real book

Coffee or Tea?

Tea - unless the coffee comes with baileys  :)

Summer or Winter?

Can I say Autumn?

Wine or Beer?

White wine

Heels or Flats?

Flats. runners or slippers preferably!

------------------------------------------------------------

From Genevieve Graham, author of "Under the Same Sky", comes a sweeping romantic historical novel of one man’s strange gift and dangerous battles...

Dougal MacDonnell, a fierce warrior from the Highlands of Scotland, is able to hear the thoughts of other men and dream how the future will unfold.

Devastated by the loss of his family during the Battle of Culloden in 1746, he fosters a deep hatred for the English. But when Glenna, the love of his life and a Scottish outlaw, is captured and shipped overseas, Dougal is forced to join an English army made of vanquished Scots. Now fighting on the side of his sworn enemies, he embarks on a journey that will take him across the seas to the colonies.
There he will risk everything for the chance to find his true love.
 Coming May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.