Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Day in the Life of... Cathy Yardley


Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of..

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

---------------------

About Cathy:

After years in the corporate world, Cathy Yardley managed to tunnel her way out of her cubicle with a spoon she’d stolen from the break room.  She now writes urban fantasy and romance, and celebrates her freedom from the cube farm in an undisclosed location somewhere near Seattle, WA. 

Her latest romance trilogy, THE PLAYER'S CLUB, is being released by Harlequin Blaze in January, February and March of 2012.  She also teaches and provides editing and writing coaching services from her website, http://rockyourwriting.com


A Day in the Life of... Cathy Yardley

6:45 a.m.  Wake up feeling like I'm getting shot out of a cannon.  Rouse the Boy so he can start to get dressed, eat breakfast, get ready for school as I walk our new Christmas Dog before Hub leaves for work.

7:25 a.m.  Return to house to discover Boy has not done anything on list.  Scramble and herd.  Feed Christmas Dog.  Feed Boy.  Feed self and answer questions in day planner-thingy that I'm falling in love with.

8:15 a.m.  The Boy is on the school bus! Productivity without the litany of "hey Mom, hey Mom, hey Mom" used as echo-location!  Another quick dog walk (she's a high energy puppy) and then back home and down to it!

8:30 a.m.  No seriously.  I should get started.  Pour cup of coffee and... well, check email.

8:45 a.m.  Okay, I mean it.  Get down to work.  No more Facebook!

9:00 a.m.  Open up Scrivener, crank my playlist, light a candle.  Use Write or Die, which I love.  Shoot for at least two scenes.

10:00 a.m.  Rock Your Writing work -- either calls with plot clients or writing coaching clients, or post classes for Savvy U.

11:30 a.m.  Christmas Dog and I pick up the Boy at the bus stop.  From now until 2 p.m. is official "Boy Time."  That means cars, board games, and Super Mario Bros.

2:00 p.m.  If lucky, I go for a sanity-saving coffee break at nearby supermarket that has a play area.  Doodle and "process" in my journal.

3:00 p.m.  Hello, Facebook.  Did you miss me? Yes, yes, I missed you too.

4:00 p.m.  Christmas Dog, that towel is not a snack.  If you would rather I paid attention to you than trying to sneak in a quick writing session, you could always ask.  No, barking is not asking.  Sigh.  Another walk?  All right.  This time no dragging, oh sixty-pound-wonder-lab.

5:00 p.m.  How the heck did it get to be dinner time?  Grab favorite cookbook, prep and go.

7:00 p.m.  The Boy's bedtime routine.  Negotiate for story time as five year old says with straight face, "Tell you what, I'll trade one of my stories for fifteen minutes of Nat Geo Wild."  Tuck in.

7:30 p.m.  Hang out with Hub, watch T.V.  Edit a little.

11:00 p.m.  Crawl towards bed.  Promise myself I'll shut light out.  Get invariably caught up in story.

12:20 a.m.  Hub comes to bed. "Shouldn't you be asleep by now?"  Ugh. I blame J.D. Robb.

4 comments:

  1. Funny - this is how I feel on days I'm not working. Any time I stay home from work it's like this list of things that I really need to do just get pushed aside by things that distract me like Pinterest, Blogger and Twitter. Even my reading gets pushed aside for those things. LOL

    I don't know if I would get anything done if I worked from home. I have to admit those who can actually juggle working from home with life stuff get gold stars in my books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chrystal -- ever since I started writing full time and working from home, I've found that structure, and weekends, went out the window! It's been a struggle to get back into a routine that works, but I feel like I'm getting there.

    And I haven't even started looking at Pinterest. I'm too easily addicted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww to the time of the Boy's bedtime routine. It's always good to negotiate for extra story-telling minutes. It brings me back to times when I did that with my mom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Cathy Yardley's "Will Write for Shoes--How to write a Chick Lit Novel" and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.