Friday, February 3, 2012

Mini Reviews: Craft Books Part 2 - Knitting & Crochet


Title:  Knits for Nerds
Author:  Toni Carr
Source:  NetGalley

Synopsis:

The best of science fiction, manga, and animaguiri meets knit one, purl two as knit siren and part-time roller derby girl Joan of Dark offers up an out-of-this-world assortment of knitting nerdiness inside Knits for Nerds. The patterns for 30 iconic clothing and accessory items inspired by popular TV shows, books, films, comics, and more--including Star Trek, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Firefly.
In addition to a wardrobe of costume finery, hobbyists will also find instructions for practical projects such as an e-reader cover or a laptop bag crafted of checkered fabric that serves double-duty as a chessboard and carryall, as well as patterns for plush toys inspired by Star Trek, robots, and the comic book Squee! Wear (and knit!) your nerdiness on your sleeve with Knits for Nerds.
Best. Pattern. Book. EVER!  If you couldn't already tell that I was a bit of a geek, then this will confirm any lingering doubts.  I jumped up and down when I saw this book come up on NetGalley just before Christmas.  I HAD to have it!  Being a huge fan of sci-fi and fantasy this was the ultimate book for my craft collection.

Filled with some of the coolest and most unique patterns I've run across, this book is so much fun.  Each page is filled with great details, photos and how-to's on geeky inspired projects.  My favorite is actually shown on the front cover, the Leia bun hat!


Title:  Knitter's Life List
Author:  Gwen W. Steege
Source:  via Publisher (Thomas Allen)

Synopsis:

The Knitter’s Life List is a richly illustrated road map to more than 1,000 must-have experiences guaranteed to get any knitter’s needles clicking faster. Veteran knitter Gwen W. Steege has canvassed the knitting community to create this inspiring compilation, which includes amazing yarns to try; classic techniques to master; ground-breaking designers to know about; most-loved patterns to knit; knitting-related museums, movies, and books to enjoy; and much more. These are the experiences and events no knitter will want to miss.

Novices and masters alike can read about qiviut from the musk ox — and then check it off their list once they’ve made something with that luxury fiber. They'll explore classic sweater designs and visit the yarn-friendliest cities. They’ll discover brave folks who delight in yarn-bombing; master intarsia; and even try spinning, weaving, dyeing, embroidery, and crochet.
I had a great time looking through this book, it's filled with great tid-bits of information on various yarns, techniques, projects and anything knitting/yarn related.  When I first saw this book, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I enjoyed it so much I picked up a copy for my sister (who is also a knitter!) for her Christmas present.

This is a great book for anyone who is in to fibre arts, as it touches not only on knitting, but crochet, spinning, dyeing, embroidery, and some of the most unique yarns I'd ever heard of.


Title:  Last Minute Knitted Gifts
Author:  Joelle Hoverson
Source:  NetGalley

Synopsis:

Today's knitters are chic, smart-and busy. Although they love to knit and enjoy making gifts for family and friends, they're constantly faced with the challenge of finding enough time to actually finish what they've started. Last-Minute Knitted Gifts solves this problem. Joelle Hoverson, owner of Purl, the hip knitting supply store in downtown Manhattan, has designed more than 30 fun, fresh, beautiful patterns, most of which can be made in less than ten hours-some in as little as two!

Known for her keen sense of color, Hoverson includes instructions for classic gifts like baby booties and bonnets, sweaters, and scarves, plus imaginative options like a cashmere tea cozy, a felted yoga mat bag, floor cushions, and a poncho-surely something for everyone on the gift list. And to make each present extra-special, Hoverson offers easy tips on how to incorporate knitting and other yarn embellishments into the gift wrap.
One of the neatest thing about this book is how quick and easy the projects are.  When you're down to hours before a baby shower, a birthday party or a holiday - this is the book I would turn to find that unique gift for someone special.

I have several books by this author, and all of them have some of the most beautiful photos.  Joelle's instructions are easy to follow, the patterns are fun, pretty and who wouldn't love a cashmere tea cozy!  I love just flipping through and admiring the gorgeous projects and dreaming of what I could make.

1 comment:

  1. I have seen the first and last book at the book store, and really liked what I saw in both of them. But it always helps to see reviews, sometimes craft books can be so hit-or-miss. I LOVE the very idea of the second book, it looks amazing. I think I'll have to convince my husband that instead of chocolates for Valentine's Day, I want books!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.