Saturday, March 10, 2012

Review: A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Title:  A Million Suns
Author:  Beth Revis
Genre:  Science Fiction, YA
Pages:  386
Published:  January 2012
Publisher:  Razorbill
Source:  Publisher
Where to buy:  Amazon

Synopsis:

Godspeed was fueled by lies. Now it is ruled by chaos.

It's been three months since Amy was unplugged. The life she always knew is over. And everywhere she looks, she sees the walls of the spaceship Godspeed. But there may just be hope: Elder has assumed leadership of the ship. He's finally free to enact his vision - no more Phydus, no more lies.

But when Elder discovers shocking news about the ship, he and Amy race to discover the truth behind life on Godspeed. They must work together to unlock a puzzle that was set in motion hundreds of years earlier, unable to fight the romance that's growing between them and the chaos that threatens to tear them apart.

We pick up with Amy, Elder and the occupants of the Godspeed exactly where we left off at the end of "Across the Universe".  Elder is now the official ruler, but refuses to take the name of Eldest - he feels the name is tainted and will have the populous believing he is just like the rest.  He tries to become the leader he envisions, but just can't quite get there.

Beth Revis has created an incredible adventure and world for her characters.  For me, I actually enjoyed the first book in the series more then this one.  While this one continues the same story - I found this one harder to get into.  I also found Elder harder to like, he always seemed to fall short of his potential and had me frustrated.  I loved the budding relationship between Amy and Elder, but they didn't get to spend much time together in this portion of the story.

There are a number of twists and turns and unexpected moments in this book.  We get a deeper look into the workings of Godspeed and the reality of it's state and their real location.  There is so much going on in the story and I; despite the things I didn't like - couldn't put the book down.

I can't wait to find out what happens in the third installment of the story.  For those who enjoyed "Across the Universe" this is a definite one for you to pick up and see how Godspeed is handling the lack of Phydus. 

Also by Beth Revis:

2 comments:

  1. Awww I wanted to see Amy and Elder together! That's sad but I'm probably still going to pick this one up because I LOVED the first one. Hopefully I'll still like this one! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like many people out there share your opinion when it comes to A Million Suns being not as wonderful as Across The Universe. I've read the second book right after finishing the first one, so I didn't really have any problem getting into the story. I am not sure, however, how I feel about the scavanger hunt for clues and all, it was a bit tiring. Plus I didn't like how the relationship between Elder and Amy unfolded - it was dry and.. stiff.. and... weird ;/ But overall, I did enjoy A Million Suns a lot, and am excited to find out what they'll find on the planet!
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.