Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Review: Secrets of an Accidental Duchess by Jennifer Haymore

Title:  Secrets of an Accidental Duchess
Author:  Jennifer Haymore
Genre:  Historical Romance
Pages:  380
Published:  February 2012
Publisher:  Forever
Source:  NetGalley
Where to buy:  Amazon

Synopsis:

With her pale hair and slim figure, Olivia Donovan looks as fragile as fine china, and has been treated as such by her sisters ever since a childhood bout with malaria. But beneath her delicate facade, Olivia guards a bold, independent spirit and the kind of passionate desires proper young ladies must never confess...

It was a reckless wager, and one Max couldn't resist: seduce the alluring Olivia or forfeit part of his fortune. Yet the wild, soon-to-be Duke never imagined he'd fall in love with this innocent beauty. Nor could he have guessed that a dangerously unpredictable rival would set out to destroy them both. Now, Max must beat a madman at his own twisted game—or forever lose the only woman to have ever won his heart.
I don't know why I waited so long to pick up something by this author.  I'd seen Confessions of an Improper Bride at the book stores and wavered on picking it up.  Then I saw this one on NetGalley and thought - hey why not.. I'll give it a try!  Boy am I glad I did, because the day I finished it, I went out and bought Confessions and clicked that lovely "Request" button on NG for the novella that comes before Secrets.

Olivia is delicate - she suffers from Malaria.  This is the second novel I've read with a character who had this affliction. (the other was When He Was Wicked by Julia Quinn)  I felt for Olivia, everyone treated her like she was going to fall over any second and that she needed to stay away from the things she dreams about doing.  That is until Max comes into her life.

Max makes a stupid mistake - one he will deeply regret.  He made a wager with Fenwicke, that he could seduce Olivia - something Fenwicke couldn't do.  So off he goes to Sussex, where Olivia is staying to seduce the lovely young lady.  Little does Max know, that his plan isn't going to work!

I LOVED the interaction between Max and Olivia.  They are such a great couple!  Max has no idea that Olivia suffers from an illness and teaches her to play tennis and goes on grand adventures - both in and out of the bedchamber!

I was really blown away by this book and couldn't put it down.  This is an author that has easily earned a place on my auto-buy list and a permanent home on my bookcase.  I can't wait for the next book in the Donovan series "Pleasures of a Tempted Lady" coming I believe later this year!

Also by Jennifer Haymore:



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you enjoyed this book, I've only read one of Jennifer's books so far (as well as two of hers under the name Dawn Halliday) and loved them! :) I'm anxious to read more, just haven't yet had the time...

    Enjoy!
    TBQ
    TBQ's Book Palace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of this author, but I will definitely will be looking for her books. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.