Friday, April 6, 2012

Review: Triggers by Robert J Sawyer


Title:  Triggers
Author:  Robert J. Sawyer
Genre:  Mystery, Science Fiction
Pages:  342
Published:  April 2012
Publisher:  Penguin
Source:  from Publisher
Where to buy:  Amazon

Synopsis:

On the eve of a secret military operation, an assassin's bullet strikes President Seth Jerrison. He is rushed to the hospital, where surgeons struggle to save his life.

At the same hospital, researcher Dr. Ranjip Singh is experimenting with a device that can erase traumatic memories.

Then a terrorist bomb detonates. In the operating room, the president suffers cardiac arrest. He has a near-death experience-but the memories that flash through Jerrison's mind are not "his" memories.

It quickly becomes clear that the electromagnetic pulse generated by the bomb amplified and scrambled Dr. Singh's equipment, allowing a random group of people to access one another's minds.

And now one of those people has access to the president's memories- including classified information regarding the upcoming military mission, which, if revealed, could cost countless lives. But the task of determining who has switched memories with whom is a daunting one- particularly when some of the people involved have reason to lie...

When I initially decided to pick up this book I expected something like Dan Brown or Clive Cussler, but what I got was so much more.  As a fan of action adventure, mystery and science fiction – this rolls them all in to one amazing story that I had a hard time putting down.

We are swept up into a chaotic story of an attempted assassination of President Seth Jerrison.  When a bomb suddenly goes off, an experiment in the same hospital where Jerrison is being operated on goes wrong.  Memories are swapped between patients, hospital staff, visitors, Secret Service and the President.

There are a lot of people involved in this story, but I didn’t feel overwhelmed.  Sometimes when there is so much going on the reader can get confused – not in this case.  I felt it added to the story and the suspense!  Who has who’s memory and how will they get everyone back where they should be!  I don’t want to spoil anything in regards to the plot, so make sure you pick it up!

For fans of science fiction like Fringe, this is definitely something you’ll want to pick up.  For me, as a geek and sci fi fanatic, mystery, and action/adventure reader this was perfect.  I got my fill of several genres I adore!  This was my first book by Robert J Sawyer but it is far from my last!  I have added several of his books to my wishlist and plan on adding them permanently to my own book collection.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love Robert Swayer's books - its a shame that I didn't even know he had a new one out and this one sounds great. I'm really glad I found your review as well -- I'm trying to check out as many as I can before I make the purchase. 'Triggers' is also being reviewed this weekend on a great literary, AM radio show I try and keep up with called The Book Report -- I heard it by accident while I was in Atlanta on business earlier this year and I has happy to find that the show is carried in several other major cities as well. Luckily, The Book Report streams a lot of their shows directly from their website so I hope that I have a chance to hear the review - I love hearing different opinoins.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.