Tuesday, June 5, 2012

CHICKENS!!!

I’m not sure how many of you out there know that I have chickens, 5 hens and 2 rooster to be precise!

When I saw a couple of books pop up on NetGalley about chickens I just couldn’t resist requesting them!

Title:  Art of the Chicken Coop
Author:  Chris Gleason
Genre:  DIY
Pages:  160
Published:  June 2011
Publisher:  Fox Chapel
Source:  NetGalley
Where to buy:  Amazon

Synopsis:

Keeping chickens—even for city dwellers is a trend that just keeps on growing. With this book, today’s modern farmer will find plans and construction techniques for making seven different chicken coops, fun chicken facts, and recipes for eggs. Experienced farmer, woodworker, and author Chris Gleason's hip eye for design, combined with sound woodworking techniques make the coops both attractive and sturdy. Practical information such as how to properly size a coop and how to source reclaimed materials is included.  Don’t miss the authors “tour de coop” where he visits coops from other backyard farmers to find out why they keep chickens and what lessons they have to share with others interested in doing so.

When my hubby M and I first contemplated getting chickens we scoured the internet for coop designs and ideas.  This book would have been a great thing for us a couple of years ago!  This was a fun book, filled with great designs, concepts, ideas, chicken facts, recipes and tidbits of fun info.

For someone looking at getting chickens and need help with a coop design this is definitely a book you should check out!  Now, a lot of the plans aren’t designed for cold weather which was something we had to take into account with ours – as it can get pretty darn cold here in the winter!  I would have liked to have seen a few more ‘northern’ friendly ideas, but it was a great book overall!

Title:  Know Your Chickens
Author:  Jack Byard
Pages:  96
Published:  January 2012
Publisher:  Fox Chapel
Source:  NetGalley
Where to buy:  Amazon

Synopsis:

This title introduces 44 breeds of chicken. The author accompanies each with a description of the animal's appearance and explains the different colors and patterns which appear within the breed. He has thoroughly researched the history of each animal and its breeding, and also gives details of their personalities and egg-laying and flying abilities. Some of the featured breeds include the lazy Barnvelder, friendly Belgian D'Uccle, the high-flying Ancona and the 'French Poodle of the chicken world' - the Faverolles. This fascinating range of breeds is sure to make anyone a chicken enthusiast. The book is designed for novices but an established enthusiast will find no shortage of interest.

I initially picked this book because I have several hens that I don’t know exactly what breed they are.  So I *crossed my fingers* and hoped that maybe that a picture would stand out and be one of my hens!

I lucked out and found one of my mysterious hens listed in this book!  What I thought was an Aracuna was actually an Ameracuna – both are blue egg layers, and have similar features.  It was neat to read about the different breeds and their origins.

While this book didn’t have ALL the known breeds, it does give you quite a selection, tidbits of info on the breeds and some great photos!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I love your chickens - especially that pretty one with the lovely colours on her. :) I forget her name though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be "Henrietta" the Ameracunca. She's the one that lays the blue eggs :-) She's actually sick - we have her separated from the rest of the flock.

      Delete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.