Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Day in the Life of… Liz Fielding

 
Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!
 
--------------------

I've been reading since I was knee-high to a gnat. My mother taught me, the way she taught me all the good things in life. She read to me when I was little and then she bought me books of my own. Little Women, What Katy Did and Anne of Green Gables. I read them all until the covers fell off.

The only thing that is better than reading, is writing. Bringing to life characters that you love so much that finishing the book, leaving them to get on with their lives without you, is the hardest thing.

I started writing when my children were small and my engineer husband, John, was working abroad. We'd met working in Africa and had travelled the world together before settling down to raise our family.

My first romance, An Image of You, HR # 141, was set in Kenya, in a place I knew well, and was plucked from the slush pile because the feisty feminist heroine made my editor laugh. Emotion touched with humor has been the hallmark of my books ever since.

Now we live in the house that John built for us in Wales. The landscape is magical, with soft, misty hills, sudden rocky outcrops and crumbling castles. This is Carmarthenshire, the land of Merlin and, according to legend, half a mile from our home King Arthur and his knights are sleeping in a cave, waiting for a bell to be rung to summon them to action. It's nice to know that help is so close at hand should we ever need it!

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF LIZ FIELDING

Mostly, authors’ lives – at least this author’s life - pass in a fairly quiet, unremarkable way. I get up, make tea, check my emails, exchange a few tweets with friends, fellow authors, readers, look at Facebook and then start working. Apart from breaks for food and the pump-priming tea, all I see most days is my keyboard.

My life, however, just lately, has not been “mostly. After living in the same house for twenty years, a decision was made that we needed less garden. Less house, too, although not a not less, because we seem to need a lot of rooms for two people!

The house went on the market and, the market being what it is, stayed there for a while and we did nothing about finding a new one, because there didn’t seem much point. But then someone came along who fell in love with our house and we had to find a new house rather quickly.

That was a bit of a roller-coaster – I blogged about it, so I won’t repeat the story here – but this week we moved into our new home and my days, instead of being spent glued to keyboard an computer screen seem to have consisted mostly of cardboard boxes.

My nails are wrecked, I have aches in places you wouldn’t believe and there was the scare when we got locked in a room on the third floor and had to break out! I still haven’t tackled my office. I haven’t even got a desk, as I had one that was built into the corner of my office in the writing cottage where I used to work.

From now on, instead of being the writer at the bottom of the garden, I’m going to be the writer in the attic. I have sloping ceilings, and a view across to the far hills and the Westbury White Horse, because I’ve moved from the misty hills of west Wales to the magical south-west of England. Home of Stonehenge, Glastonbury, Avebury, Bath, white horses carved into hillsides and crop circles. I will be saving time to visit and blog and fill the writing well with new experiences.

I have a new garden to design and plant. A house that needs fresh paint and a kitchen table and a new sofa, oh and a book to finish. But those things will have to wait.

Today is a very special day in the life of this author. All my girls are visiting. My daughter, her little girl and her brand new baby girl. A new family member to welcome into the family and love.

Amy, Dan, Cora and Veda

Liz Fielding’s latest Harlequin Romance, The Last Woman He’d Ever Date, is published this month. For an excerpt, click http://www.lizfielding.com/thelastwomanhedeverdate.html here.

Claire Thackeray:

Hardworking single mom and gossip columnist. Hoping for the inside scoop on sexy billionaire Hal North, aka her teen crush!

Most wary of: Gorgeous men who set her heart racing. (Been there, got the T-shirt--and the baby!)

Hal North:


Bad boy made good. Back in his hometown as new owner of the Cranbrook Park estate. Determined to put his troubled past behind him.

Most wary of: Journalists--especially pretty ones, like new neighbor and tenant Claire Thackeray.

Also,  Liz Fielding’s “Eloping with Emmy” is on sale for 50% off at Smashwords!  Make sure to check it out!

4 comments:

  1. Am glad the move went well. I hope the mysticism of the west country helps with the creative and romantic novels. Your grandbabies are lovely xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always enjoyed Liz's books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much, Kooks! Looking forward to exploring. :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.