Wednesday, September 12, 2012

A Day in the Life of… Kristie Cook

Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

--------------------

 Powertour

About Kristie Cook:

Kristie Cook is a lifelong writer in various genres, from marketing communications to fantasy fiction. Besides writing, she enjoys reading, cooking, traveling and riding on the back of a motorcycle. She has lived in ten states, but currently calls Southwest Florida home with her husband, three teenage sons, a beagle and a puggle. She can be found at www.KristieCook.com.

ss-sig[1][25]

A Day in the Life of Kristie Cook

I don’t really have a typical day, but this has much less to do with all kinds of exciting things going on in my life and more to do with my inability to stick to a routine. I love to plan and create beautiful schedules that allow me to get everything done and lead a well-balanced life, but once it comes to living that schedule, I epically fail.

Sometimes my schedule fails because “emergencies” arise that must be dealt with. At certain times, it’s because I’m under deadline. I’m sure it never has anything to do with how busy I am and my tendency to over-schedule myself.

Here’s the routine I like to follow when all the planets are aligned perfectly and I’m not panicking about a deadline I’ll never be able to meet (but somehow always do):

Sometime between 7:30-9:00 a.m. – Since I don’t usually have to be anywhere at a certain time and the only kid still at home is old enough to get himself out the door, I allow myself to wake up without an alarm. What time I finally roll out of bed depends on how late I was up the night before. My fur-babies usually don’t let me sleep past 9, though.

I stumble to the coffee maker, pop in a K-cup and give the dogs a couple scoops of food while the nectar of the gods fills my mug. For the next 30 minutes to an hour, I drink my coffee, tally yesterday’s sales numbers, scan through email and check Facebook. I pop in another K-cup, brush my teeth and hair, throw on some kind of clothing, walk the dogs and empty the dishwasher. If I have time, I’ll fold laundry and/or put it away.

By 10:00 a.m. – I’m sitting in my office with a Word doc open. Now I’m supposed to write or revise. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I just stare at the screen, at the walls, at the dogs who are snoring on the futon in my office. Or I’m playing solitaire or mahjong or browsing iTunes, looking for the best song for this scene and not finding it but discovering all kinds of new-to-me music. Or seeking inspiring people and scenery on Pinterest and spending an hour pinning recipes and home designs instead. If I’m having a good day, I’ll make a little progress with the current WIP (work-in-progress). If I’m having a really good day, I’ll have lost myself in the WIP for hours, forgetting to eat lunch.

Noon – Check email, voicemail, texts, Facebook, rankings, etc., and panic because I forgot to write a guest post that was due yesterday or give The Boy lunch money or send something to the business partner or a client. Take care of those fires, then heat lunch in the nuker while switching laundry around and attending to fur-babies. Usually take lunch back to the office, but on really good days, I might actually sit at the table and read while eating.

The next couple of hours are spent on business-y stuff. Up until recently, I had two companies I managed, one with many clients. Now I primarily focus on the publishing company and my business partner takes care of the other one, but there is still way more to do than one person can manage. I do what I can and hope the elves will come in overnight and complete the rest. (They never do – they’re so unreliable!) I work on sales spreadsheets, write blog posts, create graphics for marketing, listen to and approve audiobook files, go through over a hundred emails each day, answer fan mail, deal with anything from the other company that needs my response or action, networking, look for new marketing opportunities, format books, upload files for ebooks, work with cover designer, write jacket copy, design new bookmarks, communicate with bloggers to set up the next tour, prepare copyright documents for the Library of Congress, research conferences and book shows to attend, read up on publishing industry news, social media…the list is never ending. The Boy gets home around 2:30, so I chat with him about his school day and his plans for the rest of the day/evening for a while. He usually takes off with friends or takes a nap.

Somewhere during the day, I try to take a shower. I really do! It’s easy to find the time when I’m struggling with writing, because my best ideas come in the shower. Other times, though, I might not shower until 11 p.m.

3 p.m. – I force myself to put away whatever business-y stuff I was working on and go back to the WIP for a couple of hours.

Sometime between 4:30 and 6 p.m. – Take care of any business-y emergencies, like the blog post that was due yesterday. Technically, I’m supposed to begin my workout at 5:00. If writing is going really well, though, or if I’m on deadline, I don’t stop working until 6 (at the earliest) and the workout gets skipped. Looking at my writer’s butt, I obviously work until 6 much more often than I actually workout.

Sometime between 6 and 7 p.m. – Make dinner. Or go to the grocery store because there’s nothing in the house to make dinner with. Or order out. I love to cook, but don’t get to indulge in the fun cooking often enough. Usually I’m throwing something together as quickly as possible.

During and after dinner, visit with The Man and The Boy, and, when I’m lucky, get a phone call or text from one of the two College Boys. They usually need something regardless of whether they live at home or not – e.g., money or a paper proofread – so I take care of that. Play tug-of-war and fetch with the fur-baby.

9-11 p.m. – Social media. I usually have a Twitter chat to attend, or get on my author Facebook page, or post in relevant forums on the ‘net. Maybe sneak in a little Pinterest. I don’t watch much TV, but if there’s something on that I truly enjoy, I watch it while I’m doing this. If I didn’t take a shower earlier, do it now.

11 p.m. – 1-4 a.m. – Often spent on the WIP, especially when I’m on deadline. Otherwise, reading, either for another author or for fun. If it’s been a really tiring day, I might actually be in bed early. Unfortunately, my brain never shuts down before 1 a.m., so even when the light’s out early, my mind is going over a scene or creating some new world to explore.

Finally fall asleep with the hopes of getting at least 6 hours.

Yes, it’s exhausting. Yes, I sometimes run into a wall and can’t function for a day without some recharging. But I love my job and my life. This is the hardest I’ve ever worked, but the best time I’ve ever had. I wouldn’t trade this for any other job in the world.

As the stakes rise, can she find her true power?

As the Amadis prepare for war, Alexis returns to Florida with orders to relax, regenerate and replenish her depleted power. But her task list quickly grows—establish a new safe house, learn the art of conversion, find her AWOL protector, help a desperate fan, and protect her son. Oh, and figure out what’s going on with her husband, whose peculiar behavior just might get them killed.

But most important of all, her primary mission: recover her stolen pendant.

The stone in the pendant not only promises hope for the Amadis future, but its unknown qualities make it a possible weapon in the wrong hands. With guidance and power from an improbable source and an unlikely ally by her side, Alexis sets out to retrieve the stone before the enemy discovers its potential for mass destruction. But when she finds herself in the Daemoni’s lair fighting for her life, all hope seems lost. Will she discover the true power she holds in time? And is it enough to save herself, her family and the Amadis?

Power, the next installment of the Soul Savers Series, takes you on a hot and edgy ride with twists and turns you’ll never see coming, leaving you breathless and once again begging for more.

Amazon ebook ~ Barnes & Noble ebook

7 comments:

  1. Love this, thank you for giving us fans a glimpse into your life! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love reading theses posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for being a stop on the Power Release Tour! This was fun. Now if only I could stick to the plan for more than a day or two at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this peek at your day. My days are so different from one day to the next. With 4 kids anything can happen LOL
    Thanks for the great tour stop.
    -Dawn aka dawnmomoffour

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed a glimpse into your life :-)) thank you. I wish you could do a uk tour :-) pleeeaaasssseeee x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was so fun to read how an author's day usually goes... although I could never run on only six hours of sleep continually! Thanks for the post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busy day my friend. The books are fabulous and your writing skills are as well. I enjoy reading your posts about yourself. Gives the readers a grounding, ie your a normal person who is busy. When is the next book due out? Spring? I am totally a fan of the series and reread them regularly. Keep writing, looking forward to the next installment.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.