Wednesday, January 2, 2013

A Day in the Life of.. Karen Erickson

DayIntheLife3_thumb50
 
Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

DSC_0214[1]

Bestselling romance author Karen Erickson writes what she loves to read -- sexy contemporary romance and sensual historical romance. Digitally published since 2006, she currently writes for Samhain Publishing, Entangled Publishing's Bliss & Brazen Imprints and Avon Impulse. A native Californian, she lives in the foothills below Yosemite with her husband and three children. Visit her website at http://karenerickson.com to keep up with her latest releases and find out what’s coming next.

A Day in the Life of Karen Erickson

I don’t really have a set schedule. So much of it depends on what’s going on with my life and work at that particular moment. For instance, I’m currently on deadline, so the book must take precedence. Meaning I have to get my daily word count in, besides tackling the other stuff. And by other stuff, I mean answering email, hanging out on Twitter and Facebook, writing blog posts, etc.

During the week, I wake up at 6:20 a.m., wake up the kids and get them ready for school before my husband takes them to the bus stop. I make coffee, then proceed to slowly come to life while I sip coffee and read email, do a few quick posts on Facebook, Twitter, etc.

My desk – where the magic happens. Note the always-present Diet Coke can

Then I’ll tackle the words. I know a lot of authors prefer to write first thing, or don’t allow themselves the fun social media type-tasks until after they get their daily word count in, but I can’t operate that way. Unless I’m so consumed with the book that I must write first thing because I’m obsessed.

Three thousand words a day is my happy place. Sometimes I write less, but when I’m on deadline, I tend to write a lot more. I’m a pretty fast writer and I don’t write multiple drafts (that would drive me batty) but I am one who can’t really work on multiple projects at once. I can write a book and complete edits on another if they come in but I’m too linear when it comes to writing new words.

Of course, I should never say never because that means I’m asking for it. Just by making that claim, watch. I’ll be writing two books at once in 2013. I can now almost guarantee it. *winks*

My kids come home from school around three. We work on homework, my husband or I take my daughter to her multiple dance classes through the week and we plan dinner, then eventually make it. I try and ignore work during the late afternoon/early evening and spend time with my family.

The younger kids go to bed at 8:30 p.m. (my oldest is eighteen, goes to college and has a part time job. I can’t keep track of his schedule LOL) and if there isn’t anything I want to watch on the DVR (I am a hopeless Real Housewives addict, though I don’t watch Atlanta or New Jersey) and if my deadline is pressing down on me, I write until around eleven or so. Then I go to bed.

Exciting right? My life is not very glamorous. I always think of the movie She-Devil with Roseanne Barr. Meryl Streep plays a romance writer who steals Roseanne’s accountant husband. Meryl’s character’s life is soooo glamorous, with the huge mansion, the indoor pool and the hot pool guy (If you haven’t seen the movie, I recommend it. It’s an oldie but a goodie). My life is far from that.

But I wouldn’t trade it for the world!

4 comments:

  1. I dunno, that sounds pretty glamorous to me;-) And 3000 words is your happy place? Wow. My goal is 2000 a day. I've hit over 5000 a couple times, but it usually takes me a day or so to recover! Ha!
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thanks Teri for stopping by! Yes, my life is so glamorous. LOL I am usually a pretty fast writer which I'm so thankful for. Though not always...

    And thanks Aislynn for having me on your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you!! Look forward to having you visit again sometime :)

      Delete
  3. I love reading these posts - regardless of how glamorous they are or not. I like REAL. :) Awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.