Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A Day in the Life of.. Rachel Carrington

DayIntheLife3_thumb50
 
Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

I started writing years ago, and my first attempt was a contemporary romance that will never see the light of day. I think I may even have thrown it away by now. It was absolutely horrific as I knew nothing about well…anything to do with writing.

After that, I started writing fantasy romances about wizards and wizards, and once those took off, I segued to paranormal romances (hello, vampires and ghosts) and romantic suspense. I also write articles for various magazines, including The Writer’s Journal, Writer’s Magazine, Writer’s Weekly, Writing for Dollars, Absolute Write, and Funds for Writers.

I’m fortunate to make my home in historical Charleston, South Carolina. Beautiful city. Beautiful people. When I’m not writing, I love to read paranormal romance, romantic suspense, young adult fantasy and paranormal, create videos, shop, cross-stitch, cook, and drink lots of coffee.

A Day in the Life of Rachel Carrington

Disclaimer: A typical day for me is kind of like a typical day for an ER doctor. Things can change at the last minute, and everything goes to hell in a handbasket. The day I'm describing here happened last Thursday. Plus I'm in the process of buying a house so nothing is really typical for me right now.

Since I write at night, my typical writing day doesn't start until about in the evening really. The rest of the day is mostly boring stuff, but I'll give you the basic rundown that's sure to have your eyes rolling back in your head.

clip_image002~10:00 a.m.  (Hey, I work at night; don't judge what time I rise and shine. LOL)—I begin the process of checking and responding to e-mails, Facebook, Twitter, and the other online sites while I'm eating breakfast. Warning: Not a morning person so I try to avoid the phone and seeing live people until I've had the requisite amount of caffeine.

clip_image004About 11:00 a.m., I head to the shower to get myself together for the day.( I'll spare you all the personal details of what it takes to get me out of the house!) The next three or four hours are spent going to the post office, the bank, any doctors' appointments I have that day (And believe me, there are a lot of them!), my Spanish classes, and dealing with the house-buying process.

Once I'm back home, I get down to work on the company I run. I work about three hours a day on it before breaking for dinner and an hour or so of free time which, right now, has been relegated to the back burner as I need to pack. While I'm shoving stuff in boxes, I'm on the phone with friends, my real estate agent, doctors, my mortgage broker, and other characters from a life that's completely crazy right now.  Prior to my insane idea to buy a house, I would use this time to do some things I enjoy like working on jigsaw puzzles, going shopping, going to the movies, etc.

clip_image006When 8:00 p.m. rolls around (sometimes 9:00 depending upon if I'm in the middle of something), I head for my bedroom and my laptop. By that time, I'm wide awake and ready. I write first for however long the words keep coming. After that comes the marketing which usually includes working on guests posts and interviews, writing blog posts, pinning to Pinterest, talking with my readers and fellow writers on Facebook, tweeting, and preparing more work for my assistant to do to earn her money. LOL

 

 

clip_image008clip_image010clip_image012

Around 12:30 in the morning, I begin working on the videos I create for authors for their books as well as my own.

Finally, after I'm done with that, I will squeeze in time to watch a movie or an episode of TV I missed. Usually, it's on my laptop.

The lights finally go out around 4:00 in the morning, but it has been as late as 6:00 a.m. Regardless of what time I go to bed, my alarm goes off around 10:00 a.m., and the day starts all over again.

Another disclaimer: All of the above, except for the writing and marketing, is subject to change if I have a meeting that night, a movie with my friends, or any other activity that is infinitely more interesting than packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.