Friday, March 1, 2013

Book Tour: Byzantine Gold by Chris Karlsen

VBRT Byzantine Gold Banner copy

SONY DSC

Chris is a retired police detective. She spent twenty-five years in the law enforcement with two different agencies.

The daughter of a history professor and a voracious reader, she grew up with a love for history and books.

She has traveled extensively throughout Europe, the Near East, and Northern Africa satisfying her passion for seeing the places she read about.

A Chicago native, Chris has lived in Paris, Los Angeles, and now resides with her husband, and five rescue dogs in the Pacific Northwest.

http://chriskarlsen.com/ ~ http://pinterest.com/chriskarlsen/byzantine-gold/

A sunken warship from the Byzantine Era carrying an unusual cargo of gold has been found off the coast of Northern Cyprus. News of the valuable cache has attracted the attention of a terrorist cell. They plan to attack the recovery team’s campsite and steal the artifacts. On the Black Market, the sale of the relics will buy them additional weapons.

Charlotte Dashiell, an American archaeologist, and her lover, Atakan Vadim, a Turkish government agent, are scheduled to be part of the recovery team that brings up the artifacts. While en route to Cyprus, they find themselves caught in the crosshairs of Maksym Tischenko, a Ukrainian contract killer bent on revenge. Charlotte, Atakan and Tischenko share a grim history. As a result, Tischenko is a man who will stop at nothing to achieve his goal—seeing them both dead.

Excerpt:

Atakan didn’t answer as he sped out of camp, spraying dirt and stones behind them.

“What’s going on? Why are you in such a hurry?”

He stared straight ahead, silent.

“Atakan?”

Tight-jawed, he continued down the side road that paralleled the beach, ramming the stick shift into place as he went through the gears and ignoring her questions. She’d never seen him this tense, not with her at least. A bad feeling crept over her. She had a sick sense his mood involved her plan to leave.

They’d gone a kilometer from the camp when he came to a stop. He hopped out, slammed the driver’s door shut and came to her side.

Opening her door, he said, “Get out.”

She did.

“Atakan,” Charlotte started to ask the same questions again, but he was already turned and walking toward the sea.

She followed. He finally stopped near the water’s edge with his back to the surf and faced her. She stopped a couple of yards away.

“When were you going to tell me?”

She knew exactly what he was asking about. Who told him? It wasn’t Nick. He’d honor the twenty-four hour rule.

“Who told you?”

“That’s not an answer.” He stood still as a statue, arms crossed, feet apart.

She hesitated, trying to choose her words so he’d understand and not be hurt. She gazed out at the incoming tide. The blue-green waves, effervescent with bubbles, rushed toward shore in rapid succession. White foam droplets filled the air as they crested, framing him like a new, angry version of Poseidon.

“Answer me.”

“Today.”

“You weren’t going to tell me until today, although you’ve been planning to leave me for awhile.”

“Not awhile.”

“Long enough to send job inquiries to several museums.”

So that was how he knew. One of the museums contacted MIAR and they must’ve sent the questionnaire to Refik and he told Atakan. She hadn’t considered the possibility. She’d thought any contact from the museums would be handled by MIAR’s headquarters.

“I’m so sorry you had to find out this way. I intended to tell you if it looked like I’d definitely leave. If none of the museums showed interest, then you never had to know what I’d done.”

“And you believe that is acceptable?”

It killed her to see the look of disgust on his face with the question. “Yes...” she said low.

“Why?”

“Because I’m bad luck for you—everyone can see it, even your--, it’s obvious. There’s something about me, and God knows, I don’t know what, but I’m like a magnet for Tischenko.”

She never cried and she wouldn’t cry now, but she was close. “I can’t bear to see you hurt again, or worse. There are people that bad luck follows, even Iskender thinks so.”

Atakan inhaled deeply and let out a slow breath. Uncrossing his arms, he closed the short distance to where she stood.

“It’s not forever,” she offered, “I’ll return.”

He shook his head. “If you go, you cannot return. You’re either in my life or out of my life. There’s no in between.”

Also by Chris:

Golden Chariot

The rare discovery of a ship sunk during the time of the Trojan War has been found off the coast of Turkey, near Troy. Charlotte Dashiell is an American nautical archaeologist and thrilled to be part of the recovery team. The wreck may contain proof of her highly controversial theory about the Trojan War.

Charlotte is present when the Turkish government agent assigned to guard the site is murdered. Her possible involvement and a questionable connection to a private collector of black market relics bring her under suspicion. Atakan Vadim is the Turkish agent sent to investigate her. Unknown to either of them, the smuggler behind the murder plans to steal a valuable artifact and frame Charlotte for the theft...after they murder her.

 

GIVEAWAY

Chris will award one randomly drawn commenter at every stop an e-book copy of “Golden Chariot”, and one randomly drawn commenter will be awarded a $50 Amazon gift card during the tour.

To enter, leave a meaningful comment for Chris! Make sure to leave your email address!  (example:  email (at) gmail (dot) com )

Ends March 4th, 2013

A list of tour dates & stop is available HERE

23 comments:

  1. That really is a great excerpt. I particularly liked the ending of it.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Mary,

      I have two comment threads going here. I'll switch from the first to this one.
      Thank you for the positive response to the excerpt. I did a mean thing to Charlotte in the book and put her in an awful position. She has to make a very difficult choice. To add to her dilemma, I loved giving Atakan that last line:)
      Chris

      Delete
  2. I don't know which I'd like to get my hands on more...the gold or atakan :P

    lol

    andralynn7 AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Andra,

      Since no one on the recovery team can keep the gold, I'd say choose Atakan. Artifacts, like the gold are returned, most of the time, to the country of origin or in this case, Northern Cyprus might have a claim to it as the ship is sunk in their waters. Atakan can be super sensual when he wants to be. He just very private and not given to showing a lot of affection in public.
      Chris

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the chance to win!

    hense1kk AT cmich DOT edu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous,
      You're very welcome:)
      Chris

      Delete
  4. I loved reading more about your book, looking forward to reading it!

    shadowrunner1987 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ami,
      Did you check out the trailer on my website: www.chriskarlsen.com or the book board on my pinterest page? You might find thouse interesting as well.
      Chris

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the review, it helped me to decide if this is a book I would enjoy!

    lennascloud AT gmail DOT com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena,

      It was a lovely review and I appreciate Aislynn's kind words.
      Chris

      Delete
  6. Hi Aislynn,
    Don't know if you picked up my message on the other thread but I want to thank you for taking the time to read and review Byzantine Gold. I am especially happy for the lovely review.
    Chris Karlsen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris!

      I did :) Thank you for having me as part of the tour! I enjoyed Charlotte and Atakan's story.

      Delete
  7. Poor Charlotte, she doesn't have it easy in this book.

    lyra.lucky7(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lyra,

      No, she doesn't have things go smoothly at all. But, she still has moments where she can tease Atakan and appreciate his romantic efforts. I think they make a great couple:) But then, I'm far from objective (smiles)
      Chris

      Delete
  8. Great excerpt, will there be other books featuring other characters from this book?

    hopefull1978ATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hope,
      The first book, Golden Chariot, features Charlotte and Atakan as the main characters. It is the story of how they meet on another wreck project. Because of the murder of a Turkish agent, a friend of Atakan's, he is assigned to quietly investigate her. The story is a thriller but you also see how the two of them go from wary distrust to trust to an intimate relationship.

      I hope later in the year to start book 3 in the series. I'll have Charlotte and Atakan as support characters but would like to use her brother, NIck, a Chicago cop, and Atakan's agent friend, Iskender, work together on a case.
      Chris

      Delete
  9. Hallo Chris,
    did you choose Charlottes name Dashiell for a reason? It reminds me of a crime novelist name.

    emiliana25(at)web(dot)de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emiliana
      I did choose it because of the crime novelist, Dashiell Hammett. As a young girl, movies based on his stories were on television a lot and I like them-The Maltese Falcon and the Thin Man series and others. His name intrigued me even then. It just sounded cool. My fondness for the name stayed with me and I thought it suited Charlotte and her brother.
      Chris

      Delete
  10. Chris! Hi :-) I've enjoyed following along on your blog tour and learning all about your series! I'm looking forward to diving into your world!

    justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chelsea,
      I've enjoyed talking with everyone who followed me. It's been fun. I've had some interesting questions. I hope you like the books. I'd love to hear from you and what you think of them.
      Chris

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed the excerpt.

    bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Bn,
      Thank you. I strive to pick excerpts that intrigue without giving too much away.
      Chris

      Delete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.