Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Day in the Life of… Abigail Sharpe & Alyssa Day

DayIntheLife3_thumb2
Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!
--------------------

Abigail Sharpe

Abigail Sharpe is a Boston-bred Yankee now eating grits and saying "y'all" in North Central Florida. She dreamed more of being a stage actress or joining the CIA than being an author. While she still enjoys participating in community theater productions and singing karaoke, the secret-agent career was replaced by hours at her computer, writing stories of love and laughter and happily ever after.

Abigail lives with her husband, two kids, and one crazy princess puppy. She is part of a kitchen blog with friends - chickletsinthekitchen.com - and you can keep up with her on Goodreads or at her website - abigailsharpe.com.

A Debut Author’s First Day as a .. well, Debut Author

Midnight: Check my Kindle for Who Wants to Marry a Cowboy? book delivery. It’s not there. Panic a little. Check links of guest posts and send out a tweet and update Facebook about my book birthday.

Midnight 15: Got an email saying my Kindle order has arrived. *whew* Now I can go to bed. After I check my Amazon stats.

1215am

12:45: Finally go to bed.

6:00: My husband believes he has an internal clock and can get up any time he wants if only he thinks about it the night before. I believe he’s fooling himself because I have to shove him out of bed every morning. I go back to sleep until my alarm goes off again at…

6:30: Hit snooze. Debut authors are allowed a little extra rest.

6:39: Hit snooze. Debut authors are allowed a little more extra rest.

6:48: Finally drag my Debut Author butt out of bed. I don’t worry about looking decent or anything because I took the day off and all I have to do is drive my youngest to school at 7:10.

7:45: Arrive back home to find a beautiful bouquet and a card from my family. <3 I stop and smell the flowers before checking for comments on guest posts and going back to bed. Debut authors are allowed a little extra rest.

9:45: I’m having a dream that I’m singing with some woman, who I don’t know in real life but apparently do in the dream, and we’re harmonizing with duets from Rent while walking down Main Street (literally Main Street, where I live). I’m singing the boy parts because my voice is kinda low. While we’re singing, my husband calls. Only after I answer the phone, it rings again. In reality, It’s my friend Christine, ready to meet for breakfast.

10:15: Debut Author Breakfast of Champions: Bagel and lox. (Or, as it’s known by my writing friends, smelly fish.) Christine gives me an awesome Cowboy hat charm with the date engraved on it. <3 Debut Author has amazing friends.

Breakfast

12:45: I’ve come home and I’m commenting on blogs and message boards, and debating emptying the dishwasher. The UPS guy rings my bell and drops off a package. My heart jumps a little, thinking that he’s delivering MY books, when I realize it’s Charmaine Harris’s last Sookie book. Conveniently, I have a friend born at the beginning of May, so Sookie made it really easy to buy her a present every year I’m not sure what I’m going to do next year. Decide Debut Authors don’t have to unload dishwashers.

Sookie (4)

5:00: Get a phone call asking if I’ll be home that night because I have an oil delivery. ??? Start to ask Husband if he’s expecting oil, but ask instead for a repeat from the caller. She says it again, but I figure out she said FLORAL. Tell her we’ll be home for another hour and then we’re off – Husband and Kids to one place, me to a Junior League dinner, conveniently scheduled when I can celebrate my release.

JrLeagueDinner

7:00: Debut Author Dinner of Champions with a Kentucky Derby theme: Salad, pecan-encrusted chicken, fried green tomatoes, and a mint julep cupcake. Realize one of my tablemates has the same pattern on her dress as I do. Show my iPhone Kindle to everyone who wants to see that I have a real live book available to read for the masses. Discuss ebooks with a librarian, though the local library purchased a couple of paperbacks of my novel.

BrynnAndMe

8:45: Come home in time to kiss kiddies good night and get bombarded by the “oil” delivery of Congratulations balloons sent by my father in law and his wife. <3

Balloons!  Flowers (1)

9:00: Get on the computer to check blog posts and Amazon stats, then settle in to write. Because that’s what we do.

WWTMACCOVER

There's nothing florist Ainsley Fairfax won't do to help her sister get the love of her life-even if it means taking her place on a bachelorette weekend at a Wyoming ranch so Cecelia can sail off with the man of her dreams. Ainsley is determined to spend the time keeping her head down and her heart safely tucked away-until an encounter with the ranch's hunky owner gets her heart-and steamy desires-to bloom . . .

Riley Pommer doesn't want to be lassoed into any relationship. But with the family ranch in dire straits, Riley knows his sisters' crazy plan to turn the ranch into the setting for a dating competition-and using Riley as the bait-is the only thing standing between them and foreclosure. But the rules of the game change the instant Riley lays eyes on the spirited Ainsley. Now, as others try to stampede over their love, can Riley prove to Ainsley that true love is a prize worth fighting for?

Alyssa Day


Alyssa Day is the pen name (and dark and tortured alter ego) of RITA award-winning author Alesia Holliday. She is the New York Times and USA Todaybestselling author of paranormal romance and urban fantasy novels. She was born in Biloxi, Mississippi, and spent her childhood moving all around the world with her family and her dad, who was in the U.S. Air Force, living in such varied and wonderful places as Colorado, the Philippines, Alaska, Turkey, Texas, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, and probably a few other places she has forgotten. After graduating from The Ohio State University (go Buckeyes!) with a degree in sociology, she worked in the real world for a while but then went to law school, graduating summa cum laude from Capital Law School in Columbus, Ohio. She practiced law as a trial lawyer in three different states before deciding that she had more fun with the voices in her head than the ones in courtrooms. After marrying Navy Guy, she started on another round of adventures, moving from Ohio to Florida to Seattle to Florida to Virginia to Florida to Japan (so far!).

Ten years into a publishing career, you’d think I’d have learned never to have revisions due the same day as a book releases! Especially when it’s two days after I return from the annual RT convention (I was honored to receive the award for Reviewers’ Choice Paranormal Romance of the year, 2012), and I came home to a sick daughter!!

I spent my day—twenty straight hours—at the computer.  I was doing a final pass of revisions for my YA novel which will be out next spring, and in between that I sent periodic Facebook posts and Twitter notes about my release of THE CURSED, the first in my new series, The League of the Black Swan.  At 3 in the morning, I fell asleep for 3 hours and then was up today at 6 to be back at it.  It was maybe the most unexciting book release day I’ve ever had, but today we’re going to Barnes and Noble to visit my book (which is featured in the B&N newsletter, because Eloisa James loved it!) and out to dinner to celebrate.  Or maybe to the pharmacy to buy more Nyquil.

Yes, I am Alyssa Day, and I have a very glamorous life.

TheCursed cover

Book 1 of the League of the Black Swan

New York Times bestselling author of the Warriors of Poseidon series Alyssa Day returns with a thrilling new series of paranormal romance and a heated battle between good and evil fought to the death on the streets of New York…

Bordertown private investigator Luke Oliver’s beat is the dimensional fold in Manhattan between the human and supernatural realms. But now a secret from his past—the League of the Black Swan—has surfaced. Because Luke isn’t any ordinary P.I. He’s the Dark Wizard of Bordertown, and he never backs down from a fight.

But this time the fight threatens his life and his heart. Rio Jones, the only woman he loved, needs his help against a deadly menace. Luke pushed her away once before, so she’d never fall prey to the curse that threatens to destroy him. He swore he’d never let her go again.

Luke and Rio, with the help of the newly reformed League, must keep evil forces from taking over Bordertown—all the while battling a passion on the razor’s edge between danger and desire. And going to take everything they have just to stay alive.

Order: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | BAM | Read Excerpts

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.