Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Day in the Life of… Cindi Madsen

DayIntheLife3_thumb2
Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!

A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

--------------------

Author Pic

Cindi Madsen sits at her computer every chance she gets, plotting revising, and falling in love with her characters. Sometimes it makes her a crazy person. Without it, she’d be even crazier. She has way too many shoes, but can always find a reason to buy a new pretty pair, especially if they’re sparkly, colorful, or super tall. She loves music, dancing, and wishes summer lasted all year long. She lives in Colorado (where summer is most definitely NOT all year long) with her husband and three children. She is the YA author of CIPHER, DEMONS OF THE SUN & ALL THE BROKEN PIECES, and the adult author of FALLING FOR HER FIANCE, ACT LIKE YOU LOVE ME and CINDERELLA SCREWED ME OVER.

Website: http://cindimadsen.com/
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/CindiMadsenBooks
Twitter: https://twitter.com/cindimadsen
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/1029223.Cindi_Madsen\

A Day in my Life by Cindi Madsen

So, my day usually goes about like this right now. Once school starts, I’ll have to return to dealing with that horrid time before 8 am, but let’s not speak of that.

8:30-9:00 am. - Wake up. Feel around the nightstand for my precious iPhone. Check emails, twitter, facebook. See how everyone else has been up for hours and think to myself that I’m already behind, but that’s what the night is for, so I’ll deal with that later.

9ish -Exercise time. On lucky days, this means reading my Kindle on my treadmill. On unlucky days, which is most of them, this means I let Jillian Michaels torture me through her exercise DVDs. I used to believe that there was no reason to run unless, you know, a bear was chasing you or something. Then I had kids and I happen to have a junk food problem, so I learned to love a nice morning workout that helped wake me up.

10:00 - breakfast. As I eat, I start coming up with the mental game plan for my day.

10:30 - Sit down to the computer to write. Get distracted by twitter. Remember I have to answer a few more emails. Look at the time and wonder how it got to be that late. Open up Spotify to the playlist I made for that manuscript & blast it.

11:00 - The real work begins. On days when I’m in the writing phase, this means I have a word count goal to meet. I usually do a couple writing sprints. On editing days, I dig in, questioning every word ever, changing it all, then changing it again, then changing it back to the way I had it. I have a page count goal on editing days. Writing & editing days, I’m super excited if I get to work on kissing scenes. They’re my fave.

1:00 - Lunch. Burn my food because I was tweeting instead of paying attention. Re-make my food. Chat with my kids as we eat (When school starts, I’ll have just my son, and then he’ll need a little play time, where he gets my full attention) Grab a Mtn Dew out of the fridge to prepare for the 2nd half of the day.

2:30 - Deal with emails, then turn on the music again and get back to finishing my word count/page count goals. If I’m ahead, I try to get more ahead.

Go to describe someone’s outfit and then decide I should look up clothes & shoes so I can describe them better.

Ooh, look at those cute shoes. They’re on sale too. I don’t have any like that.

Kelsey's heels

Remember I need to get my writing done and keep the tab with the shoes up for later.

Wonder about a good way to describe hero’s features. Decide I should look at inspiration pics. If I’m ahead of the game, I have the pics I can pull up. If not, I go looking through the Internet for pictures of guys who fit my hero’s description. This involves staring at a lot of nice-looking men, who rarely wear shirts, which is nice because it helps describe their body type easier. It’s a hard job, but someone’s got to do it.

matt lanter

Post new inspiration pic to twitter, so my followers can enjoy the pretty.

Get back to work.

Kiddos come down to ask if they can break into the stash of Oreos. I say sure, if you bring me some.

5:30 - I’ve usually made my word or page count, but sometimes I’ve had to write a blog post or got caught up in research, or someone called, or I needed to fill out a cover page form for another one of my books, etc, etc. It’s time for dinner, though, so I try to figure out what to make, then I try not to burn it.

Hang out with my kids. (During school, this is dreaded by all homework time)

7:30 – Make notes I thought of for the book while I was burning dinner. If I’m feeling really motivated, I’ll go ahead and write the scene. If not, I’ll usually pick up whatever book I’m reading and at least try to knock out a couple chapters. Somewhere in there, there’s another email round. Omigosh, the emails are never ending. (Okay, some are for shoe sales since I shop online, which makes me wonder if I should order the pair I still have up on my internet tab.)

9:00 Put kids to bed. This somehow always ends up taking a full thirty minutes, sometimes more. Get a snack. Settle onto the couch to watch TV or a movie with my hubby.

11:30 contemplate bed, then decide to go for one more TV show or reading couple more chapters of my book. Once in a while, if the story I’m working on won’t leave me, or I didn’t quite make my daily goal, I write another scene or two. It’s quiet at this time of night, and that makes it extra magical.

Midnight to 1ish- Go to bed. Mind starts spinning on what I need to write/fix tomorrow. Scenes play out in my head as I fall asleep, and I try to hold onto them, so I can wake up tomorrow and put them in my book.

And that’s pretty much my life, and why I’m also a crazy person. But I have the best job ever and I love being able to work for myself, even though I can sometimes be a demanding boss. LOL

clip_image002

Summer Davis sees deaths before they happen. She attempts to live a normal life by focusing on the dance team and her quarterback boyfriend. But then the way-too-cheery Angel of Death shows up and tells her she’s a Cipher—a person chosen to help people who are going to die resolve problems with their loved ones. Ashlyn Moore, one of Summer’s classmates, is going to die, and she needs Summer’s help before that happens.

It’s nearly impossible to get through to Ashlyn, who surrounds herself with chess nerds and geeks and makes it clear she doesn’t want to be friends. Desperate to complete her Cipher task before it’s too late, Summer turns to Troy, the guy who’s always been there for her and one of the few people she can trust. With his help, she makes progress. In fact, the closer she gets to Ashlyn and her friends, the more she feels like she’s finally found where she belongs.

As the clock starts running down on Ashlyn’s life, Summer decides to change her objective. She’s going to save her new friend before it’s too late—even if it means messing with fate.

Purchase from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Cipher-The-Series-ebook/dp/B00E0XN04G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375289337&sr=8-2&keywords=cipher

Purchase from Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cipher-cindi-madsen/1116109191?ean=2940148382447

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with being distracted while cooking - good thing my hubby eats anything (even burned).

    Love the cover for Cipher! Adding to my wishlist. It sounds like a really great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your schedule, Cindi! Especially all the research parts, which are very important, and we twitter followers truly appreciate your dedication to inspiration pics.

    :)

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.