Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Day in the Life of… Sarah Morgan

DayIntheLife3_thumb2

Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!


A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

--------------------

Sarah Morgan

USA Today bestselling author Sarah Morgan writes hot, happy contemporary romance and her trademark humour and sensuality have gained her fans across the globe. Described as ‘a magician with words’ by RT Book Reviews, she has sold over 11 million copies of her books. She has been nominated three years in succession for the prestigious RITA© Award from the Romance Writers of America and won the award twice; in 2012 for her book ‘Doukakis’s Apprentice’ and 2013 for ‘A Night of No Return’. She also won the RT Reviewers’ Choice Award in 2012 and has made numerous appearances in their ‘Top Pick’ slot.

As a child Sarah dreamed of being a writer and although she took a few interesting detours along the way, she is now living that dream.

Sarah lives near London with her husband and children, and when she isn’t reading or writing she loves being outdoors, preferably on vacation so she can forget the house needs tidying.

A DAY IN THE LIFE OF SARAH MORGAN

6:45 – I’m usually awake at this time because my husband and youngest son are up (our eldest is away at college). There is half an hour of crazy noise and activity while they get ready to leave the house. The moment the door closes behind them I make myself a cup of green tea in my ‘Go away I’m writing’ mug and either take it back to bed and work for an hour in comfort looking at the tree tops from my bedroom window, or pretend I’m professional and go to my office.

IMG_5810

I always write in the morning. This is my protected writing time. No matter how many other things are clamouring for attention, I get the words down first. It’s easy to be overwhelmed by emails, proofs, requests for interviews and all the other aspects of writing that are part of the job but don’t actually produce a book! If I don’t get words down first thing, I find the hours drift past and I start to panic.

7:25 – I hear the bin men outside and realize it’s bin day and I’ve forgotten to put the bin out. I pull my husband’s coat over my pyjamas, sprint outside and drag the bin to the front of the house, hoping the neighbours aren’t watching.

7:30 – I make a second cup of green tea and work for another hour.

8:30 – I dress and make breakfast. Porridge with maple syrup (because I’m writing about Vermont there is a lot of maple syrup in my life right now.) I write more words and quickly check email for anything urgent. My editor has sent through some suggested titles for my Oct 2014 release so I send my thoughts over to my agent and ask her opinion.

10 am– I make strong coffee and then write for another hour.

11 am – I take parcels to the post office and try not to notice that everyone is glaring at me for posting 15 packages to the US.

11:15 – as I’m out of the house anyway, I go and write in a coffee shop for an hour. Sometimes if I’ve spent quite a few consecutive days writing at home, I might change where I write. I am more creative when I vary my surroundings.

IMG_1594

12:15 – on my way home I pop into the supermarket and pick up some food for the evening.

12:30 – I pull on running shoes and get some exercise. I prefer to be outdoors whenever I can, and sometimes I meet a friend and we take her dog for a walk (that way she gets all the work, and I get the pleasure). Otherwise I just walk in the park and think about my book.

1:15 – I make lunch and eat it at my desk while I’m catching up on emails and social networking. Lots of messages from readers come through Facebook and Twitter so I respond to those, and also to any urgent emails.

1:30 – I open my document, intending to write for another hour.

1:50 – I decide the book I’m writing is rubbish and that I should probably delete the whole thing. I phone a writing friend in a panic and she says all the things I would say to her in the same situation. That this is the process. That we always feel this way. That we just have to keep writing until it doesn’t feel like rubbish anymore.

2:20 – I decide that without friends and my editor I probably wouldn’t still be writing.

2:30 pm – I make a large mug of tea and catch up on promotion. Because Sleigh Bells in the Snow is set around the holidays in snowy Vermont, I’m writing a blog about decorating my house for Christmas and I need an illustration. The holly in my garden is perfect – except there is no snow on it. I don’t think the weather is likely to oblige, so I rummage in my cupboards and find a packet of icing sugar. Standing on tiptoe I artfully arrange icing sugar on the red berries and take the picture. YAY instant snow. I stare at the photo and wonder if anyone will notice it isn’t snow.

hollyandstatevisit 013

3 pm – I finish writing the blog and send it through. Then I post on Facebook. I love using photographs and today I run a caption contest. A key character in Sleigh Bells is Maple, the miniature poodle, and I put up a cute photo of the real Maple and encourage people to caption it. I respond to readers messages on Twitter, Facebook and also check website email.

snowy

3:15 pm – I return to my manuscript and focus.

4 pm – my editor calls because she’s read my second Cosmo Red Hot Read and has some comments. She is brilliant and clever so we chat about how I can improve the book. It’s fun to talk to her and we laugh a lot. As she talks I make lots of notes and stick them to the wall so that I can add them in.

5 pm - my youngest son arrives home from school. He’s always starving so I make him a snack and we sit down and chat. I love hearing about his day. Mine is less interesting but we go through the Facebook captions together and have a laugh because some of them are funny and clever. While he goes off to do homework, I do more writing.

6:30 pm – I stop and make dinner, usually a casserole or something that can sit around because I don’t know what time my husband will be home. I enjoy cooking, but not when I’m really busy. Sometimes if he is home early, my husband will cook and I love that. We open a bottle of wine and chat about our day.

8 pm - The three of us eat dinner together, then we might chat or watch TV. I love watching movies, but in the week there isn’t usually time so that’s usually a weekend treat. I try not to write in the evening, but sometimes I work after everyone has gone to bed, particularly when I have a new release. Because I’m in the UK and we’re five hours ahead of the US (eight hours ahead of Pacific time), inevitably there are days when I need to stay awake late.

10:15 – If I’m not working late, I slide into a deep bubble bath with a book. I love reading in the bath and it clears my head of everything that has happened during the day.

USA Today bestselling author Sarah Morgan heats up the season with the O'Neil brothers in a brand-new holiday series!

Once upon a time, Christmas was Kayla Green's favorite time of year. Now all the workaholic wants for Christmas is for it to be over—as fast as possible! So when duty calls her to snowy Vermont to close a deal with a new client, Kayla is grateful for an excuse to avoid the holidays for another year.

Jackson O'Neil left a thriving business behind to return home and salvage his family's resort—it's in his blood, and he can't let it fail. Now that he's got marketing whiz Kayla Green working with him to put Snow Crystal on the map, success is on the horizon. The fact they strike enough sparks off each other to power all the Christmas lights in Vermont is just an added bonus.

Kayla might be an expert at her job, but she's out of her depth with Jackson—he makes her crave the happy-ever-after she once dreamed of, and it's terrifying. As the snowflakes continue to swirl, will the woman who doesn't believe in the magic of Christmas finally fall under its spell?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us get to know one of my all time favorite authors a little better

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.