Saturday, November 2, 2013

Book Blast: Somewhere to Dream by Genevieve Graham

9996091_orig

4505583

I love to write. I really, really do. When my wonderful agent, Jacques de Spoelberch, told me he believed in my writing, then sold my books to Berkley, in particular to the brilliant Wendy McCurdy, Executive Editor, it was a dream come true.

I have embarked on a journey I never expected to take, having my book published. I never planned to be an author in the first place, but Fate has a way of stepping in. I'm so glad She did.
"Under the Same Sky" came from a desire - no, a need to read real historical adventure when I'd exhausted the books my favourite authors had created (and I read them all many times!). The characters come to life in my head, take me places I never imagined, teach me every day. They're not all my best friends, but they are all amazing to me simply because they exist.

It's kind of funny, writing books. The best stories come from somewhere you've never been, and yet you are the expert. You write words that come to you when you're not thinking, and you make them into something that takes other people away. I love the magic in that.
I look forward to getting to know you.

From Genevieve Graham, author of Sound of the Heart, comes the tale of two strangers living with the Cherokee—one with a warrior’s heart; the other with deadly dreams…

The Cherokee call her Shadow Girl. A white woman adopted by Indians, Adelaide is haunted by the dark dreams she hides—of her murdered family, of the men she fears, and most of all, of the ones that foretell the future. After her visions cause her to make a terrible mistake, she renounces her power and buries her dreams deep in her soul.

Until Jesse Black is captured by the tribe. His life is spared because the Cherokee believe his warrior spirit belongs to their fallen brother. Though he hates all Indians, Adelaide illuminates their way of life for him, just as he shines light into her shadowed heart. But when her dreams return, Jesse must help her face them…or die trying…

EXCERPT:

Despite that memorable encounter, Adelaide didn’t stay away. She always seemed to be waiting for
him, though it didn’t exactly feel that way. It was like whenever he looked for her, she just appeared, her
soft, forlorn figure like a breath of air on a sweltering August day. He wondered at the courage it took for
her to wait like that, since she obviously had such a fear of men. Then again, maybe it was out of
desperation. They were the only two white folks in the village. Maybe she just needed a little something to
bring back happier memories.

Except memories, with her, were apparently so fragile she didn’t share many of them. Sometimes she
said little bits and pieces about her sister, Maggie, and maybe remembered this and that from their old life,
but not much more. And most of the time she berated herself afterwards for having said anything. He
wanted to know about her, but he was never sure whether he should bring up the subject or not. Sometimes
being around Adelaide made him so edgy, so nervous he hardly knew what to expect, and that wasn’t like
him. Jesse was used to being in charge of everything and everyone around him. Everyone but his father, that
is.

He gnawed on a stick, cleaning his teeth, enjoying the satisfying crunch when he bit down. He sniffed
and watched a couple of dogs chasing each other around, trying to distract himself from ugly recollections
of his former life. Guess he wasn’t so great with memories, either.

He'd have to come up with some new ones. Should he give up on his plan to escape? Would it make
any sense for him to stay in the village with the noisy whooping warriors? Life was relatively good here. He
ate better, laughed more, even had what he might call friends.

But no. No matter what the people said, no matter what crazy notion they had about him, Jesse wasn't a
Cherokee. He was a white man, and that meant he belonged in a white man's world.

Except he wasn't sure what that meant anymore. The only white man's world he'd ever known had been
the one in which he and his father had lived. But if he left here, there was no way he was going back to
Thomas. He wasn’t sure where he’d go; it didn’t matter as long as it was far from the old man.

He could stay. They'd made him welcome. After all, Adelaide was here. He enjoyed her company
more than he'd expected, and the idea of carrying that farther stirred a craving in his belly. But now things
were different. Especially after she’d shown him his kisses weren’t going to get him anywhere. So he
wasn't about to stay here on her account.

No. He didn't belong here. He'd get out at the first opportunity, run the other direction. Thomas
probably thought he was dead anyway. Didn't hurt to keep up that belief.

GIVEAWAY

prize package for bloggers

a Rafflecopter giveaway

5 comments:

  1. I had the chance to receive an ARC of this book! Wow, was I thrilled! Somewhere to Dream is a powerful novel! Ms. Graham's historical novel pulled me into her drama and kept me interested until the end.
    I strongly recommend it! I have read her two previous books and found them captivating. She has done it again with Somewhere to Dream. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm halfway through this book (received and ARC for review) and loving every minute of it! Can't wait to see what you think of it, Ais.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this series looks excellent!

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.