Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A Day in the Life of… Jess Michaels

DayIntheLife3_thumb2

Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!


A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favorite authors!

--------------------

JessMichaels

Jess Michaels always likes the "good parts" when she reads romance, so it makes sense that she writes erotic books. She is a nationally bestselling and award-winning author of nearly 40 novels and novellas. When not writing, she enjoys being a geek, designing jewelry and trying to keep the cats from scratching the furniture. She lives in Tucson with her husband.

Find her online at
www.authorjessmichaels.com, on twitter (@jessmichaelsbks) or on facebook (JessMichaelsBks)

Jess Michaels is a pseudonym for author Jenna Petersen (historical romance) and author Jesse Petersen (urban fantasy).
A Day in the Life of Jess Michaels

I wish I could tell you that a day in my life was filled with all the excitement of a book. In that account, I would rise from my bed, save a bunch of kittens, a mysterious stranger would arrive at my door with a missive about how I have inherited an estate but I have to solve a puzzle to obtain the deed and then the place would be haunted and I’d have to deal with that. It would be quite thrilling, I’m sure, although exhausting.

But the life of an author tends to be much quieter than that. I am lucky to write full-time and without kids, I don’t have to rise super early like a lot of the writers who have talked about their days here. I tend to get up around 8ish (sometimes earlier, sometimes later). The first hour or so of my day is spent eating my breakfast (usually yogurt with some nuts added) and going through email, as well as some posting on Facebook/Twitter and now Google+. Once I’m awake-ish, I start writing.

I think it’s really important for writers to have goals and they’re especially important when you’re a contracted author with deadlines. I have a goal of writing at least 10 pages a day when I’m writing a first draft of a book. If I’m editing, I edit about three chapters a day (could be more or less depending on how much work has to be done on the book). I write for a couple of hours usually and often reach my page goal before lunch.

That’s usually when I stop and I tend to eat an early lunch with my husband. He also works from home as a marketing consultant for authors (www.killerbookmarketing.com), which is nice because we can hang out together. That lunch hour is often when I do some housework, pet the cats, read, watch my terrible soap opera, whatever. Around 12-1 (depending on what I have to do that day), I go back to work.

If I still have writing to do to make my goal, I work on pages. If not, then I start my second job and that is promotion work. More and more, we authors have to be responsible for making sure our readers can find us in the massive noise of all the books out there. So I have to work on my Facebook, Twitter and Google+ accounts. I have to write blogs for my own site and other sites (like this one) and make plans for travel and workshop presentations. That work takes up about half my day and I often also work on it at night on my laptop while watching television or a movie. It’s kind of the job that doesn’t end, but I like it.

So it may not be as exciting as haunted mansions and wicked inheritances, but then again, I can write about that stuff any time I want.

I’m happy to give away an electronic copy of the first book in my current series (The Pleasure Wars), Taken By the Duke!

Leave a comment telling what the best part of your day is and why.

Open internationally, ends Feb 4th, 2014.

An eye for an eye, a sin for a sin…

Amid all the lies and scandals that fuel Society’s gossip mill, one truth has stood out: House Rothcastle and House Windbury have always hated each other.

Lady Ava Windbury prays the feud will someday end, to no avail. One dreadful night, her brother accidentally causes the death of Christian Rothcastle’s sister, a tragedy that leaves both men maimed.

Consumed by grief, Christian makes a grim decision. He will kidnap Lady Ava so that her family will feel the pain of loss as keenly as he feels the loss of his own sister. But once he has Ava in his clutches, desire takes unexpected hold. Even more surprising, she willingly surrenders to his every sexual whim—after haggling over the terms of giving up her virginity.

Too late, he realizes she is using her body for peace, not war. But just as their affair of revenges turns into an affair of the heart, the past rears its ugly head to take matters into its own hands…

Product Warnings: This book contains scenes of erotic seduction, sexual revenge and the healing power of love.

13 comments:

  1. Best part of my day is when I get into bed at night and my first thought is always 'I love my bed'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best part of my day is when I get into bed at night and my first thought is always 'I love my bed'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, my days are often like that too Jo! That bed feels so good after a long day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part of my day is usually early evening. Home, calming down, enjoying a meal and no work until the next day. And I know that I will be picking up a book to read very soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kaye! I work from home, so I don't get that specific wind down time like that. But I do find I relax while cooking (sometimes LOL). Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best part of my day is the morning, because I usually get up first and the house is so quiet and peaceful. It's probably the only time of day I get to myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a morning person, too. But I married a night owl and now that we both work from home, I feel like he's converting me. LOL ARG!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best part of my day is just before bed, a hot bubble bath with the music turned up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for having me today! I had fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best part of the day is when I come home from school after a long tiring and boring class. Today was the worse since I was dozing off in all of them

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the evening when I can wind down from the day. I usually do this by sitting in my recliner and my dog is in my lap snoozing while I check email or read :) Thanks for a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Night time is my favorite. I can watch a little tv and read to my hearts content!!!

    mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.