Wednesday, March 12, 2014

A Day in the Life of… Elizabeth Michels

DayIntheLife3_thumb2

Welcome to Stitch Read Cook's weekly feature!!


A Day in the Life of.....

This is where us bloggers & fans get a glimpse inside the days of our favourite authors!

--------------------

EMichels Pic2

Elizabeth Michels grew up on a Christmas tree farm in rural South Carolina. After tip-toeing her way through school with her focus on ballet steps and her nose in a book, she met a boy and followed him a thousand miles away from home to Kansas City, Missouri, before settling down in North Carolina.

She attended Park University where she graduated Magna Cum Laude with a BA in Interior Design. Elizabeth is a lover of happily-ever-afters; she invites you to read her stories, get lost, and enjoy.

For more information, please visit
http://www.elizabethmichels.com/

 

A Day in the Life of… Elizabeth Michels

At 5:30 am every morning I climb from my bed in a haze of sleepiness and begin the arduous daily beautification process…okay, that was a lie. I hit the snooze button until at least 5:50 before scrambling through my morning activities in attempt to make up for the 20 minutes I lost to those few precious minutes of extra sleep. By 6:45 I’m making lunch for my little monkey who is in kindergarten this year—I take lunch making really seriously. My husband teases that I’m an OCD lunch packer, but recently I got a compliment on his lunches from his teacher, so I’m feeling pretty vindicated on the subject at the moment.

clip_image002

Isn’t it cute? Notice the colorful reusable cupcake containers that keep things organized. Oooh. Aaaah.

At 7:00 I wake the little monkey and attempt to pry him from his bed. He grumbles, but I always win. By 7:15 the monkey is downstairs and his breakfast is served. The next 15 minutes are spent sipping coffee while repeating the phrase, “Eat your breakfast,” in different arrangements. Oh! Wow, I do see that. Eat your breakfast….Really? Okay. Make sure you’re eating your breakfast…I know, isn’t that crazy? Don’t forget to eat your breakfast!

At 7:30 my husband leaves to take the little monkey to kindergarten and I refill my coffee. I check my emails, Facebook, and chat on Twitter while I munch on my peanut butter cookie Larabar and attempt to wake up. About this time my husband returns home since he works from our house when he’s not traveling. We catch up and coordinate our schedules for 5 minutes before I disappear into my office in the basement.

It’s anywhere from 8:30 to 9:00 when I close the door to my office, turn on my light classical Pandora station and open my laptop. It’s writing time! So, logically, I walk away from my desk, go to the middle of the room and sit down in the floor. Okay, it’s almost writing time, but first I like to stretch, do a few yoga moves, calm down and say a prayer. Then, it’s writing time!

clip_image004

This is where I write. Everyone makes fun of my faux fur office chair, but I love it!

I write until my characters start to talk about food and then I know I need to take a lunch break. Back upstairs I go to have lunch with my husband and sometimes my in-laws as well. They also work from our house, so my kitchen becomes the office break room most days. We laugh and chat—it’s great! But, I need to get back to work. So, I slip back to my office and flop down in my furry chair. [Cue montage music and show lots of words being written on the next book.]

At 2:30 the alarm goes off on my phone and I grab my keys and my purse to go pick up the little monkey from school. The next 30 minutes of my life looks like this…

clip_image006

I check my email, update Facebook and retweet things most days. Some days I get lucky and my car is close enough in the car rider line to my writer friend, Jenna Patrick’s, car so that I can jump out and climb into her minivan. On those days we gab about our plots and characters for 20 minutes, but today—I retweet things and hope the lady in the car beside me can’t hear me singing along to the radio.

By 3:00 I have my little monkey in the backseat and we’re discussing what color he got today—it’s a big deal. *nods* Then, I convince him to run errands with me. When we finally arrive home, it’s homework time, dinner time, family time and then bed time…but not for me.

At 8:30 I go back to work, writing blog posts, answering emails, updating my website and doing all of the business parts of writing with my computer in my lap as I lounge on the sofa. *happy sighs* I love my job! But, by midnight, all the fictional magic I possessed in my fingertips earlier in the day is stripped away along with my eye makeup. I collapse in my bed, already anticipating doing it all over again.

What’s your favorite part of your day?

Giveaway

One lucky commenter will win a copy of Desperately Seeking Suzanna

To enter – answer Elizabeth’s question above.

Open to residents of Canada & the US.   Must be 18 yrs or older.  No PO Boxes.

Ends March 18th, 2014

Her Cinderella Moment…

Sue Green just wanted one night to be the pretty one. But a few glasses of champagne and one wild disguise later, she's in some serious trouble. Who knew the devastatingly handsome face of Lord Holden Ellis would get in the way of her foot? And how exactly did all that high-kick dancing start in the first place? At least she blamed it on her new persona—Suzanna—so Society's most eligible bachelor will never find out the truth.

All Holden wants is the truth. Who was that vixen who seduced him so thoroughly, then disappeared? The only one who seems to have any answers about Suzanna is Miss Sue Green. She's promised to help him find his mystery woman, but she's not being all that helpful. And the more time Holden spends with Sue—witty, pretty, and disarmingly honest—the more he realizes he may have found exactly what he's been looking for all along...

To Purchase Desperately Seeking Suzanna:
Amazon ~ Barnes and Noble ~ Books-a-Million ~ Chapters/Indigo ~ IndieBound ~ iBooks ~ Sourcebooks

16 comments:

  1. HI, Elizabeth! I love the lunch you prepared for you little kindergartener. (My daughter is also in kinder, but they're only in school for 3 hours. ^_^)

    And your furry chair looks so 60s mod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tin! I follow a few blogs dedicated to making awesome lunches and the concept of the bento box seems to be a prevailing theme. Of course, theirs has themed food that looks like dinosaurs or something, but this version works for my little guy. :) I wish mine was only in school for a few hours like yours. At some point since I was in kindergarten to now someone decided to turn kindergarten into the first grade. It seems like a long day for such little kids to me though.

      Haha! I love my furry chair! I'm going for a glam yet cozy look in my office. It's a work in progress. :)

      Delete
  2. Like dinnertime

    bn100candg at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Me too! Especially when I don't have to cook it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of my day is when I get to read!
    Thanks for the chance to win!
    natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Savor that book time, Natasha! It's the best! :)

      Delete
  5. congrats to Elizabeth on the new release! My fav part of the day is after work when I go and pick up my dog from my mom's "doggie daycare". he's always so happy to see me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww! I bet your puppy is adorable, Erin!

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your new book! My favorite part of the day is the evening when I get to relax and read. Thanks for the great giveaway.
    bhometchko(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Book Lady! I hope you enjoy your reading time this evening! :)

      Delete
  7. after dinner - when it's time to decompress and relax - often with a book!
    sallans d at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Di, that is a great time of the day isn't it? Enjoy your book! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Elizabeth. I liked hearing about a day in the life of a famous romance author. :)

    My favorite time of the day is when I get to read. Usually first thing in the morning and last thing before bed.

    Marcy Shuler
    bmndshuler(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy, for a "Famous Romance Author" my life is a little too normal. LOL I think I should have made up something involving cover models and champagne. ;)

      Delete
  9. I would like to point out two things... 1. She really is that OCD at making the monkey's lunches, and I hear about that teacher comment at least once a week. 2. That really is the ugliest d@mn chair I have ever seen, and I paid a fortune for it. My favorite part of the day is the 15 min that I get to curl up next to my beautiful wife before I fall blissfully asleep, start snoring, and have her elbow me in the side to "Roll Over!" Love You sweetie.

    Mr. Alpha Male

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard this vicious rumor that my husband, Mr. Alpha Male, was haunting my guest blog stops days after I've visited. And now, I've caught him red handed! LOL
      1. My school lunches are the best and you're just jealous because you tried and failed with the "cheese cube disaster of 2013."
      2. My chair is awesome and I can't hear anything else you say because my fingers are in my ears. Lalalalalala!
      3. I love you too! Thank you for supporting me in this crazy dream to be an author. <3

      Delete

This blog is an award free zone. The gesture is appreciated, but you stopping by is reward enough!

I love comments! I will try to respond to as many as I can.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.